Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What welder?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What welder?

    I operate a wheel repair business and currently sub out any welding to be done. We are looking to bring that work back in house. We have some experience but want to make sure that we get the right machine. The Syncrowave 210 seems to be a good option for us.

    The wheels we work with are aluminum alloy and we would use only a tig process.

    Please let me know what the community thinks about the Syncrowave or what other recommendations that are out there.

    Thanks in in advance for the help!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Kwick1 View Post
    I operate a wheel repair business and currently sub out any welding to be done. We are looking to bring that work back in house. We have some experience but want to make sure that we get the right machine. The Syncrowave 210 seems to be a good option for us.

    The wheels we work with are aluminum alloy and we would use only a tig process.

    Please let me know what the community thinks about the Syncrowave or what other recommendations that are out there.

    Thanks in in advance for the help!
    IF I read that correctly.. you are contemplating welding Aluminum rims..??

    I think the 210 would be light on Horsepower..

    the Dynasty 350 would be more realistic..

    BUT

    You might want to read this thread...

    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...num-Rim-Repair
    Last edited by H80N; 08-12-2015, 06:47 PM.
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the response. My concern is the 350 is too much machine for our purposes. But, I am looking for input.

      I understand the concerns also about welding wheels. As long as you have limits to what you do, set the proper expectation for the customer up front, and do quality work, the issues typically go away.

      Alloy wheels are typically no more than 1/4" thick across the lip where we would be doing any welding. Does this change your thoughts?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Kwick1 View Post
        Thanks for the response. My concern is the 350 is too much machine for our purposes. But, I am looking for input.

        I understand the concerns also about welding wheels. As long as you have limits to what you do, set the proper expectation for the customer up front, and do quality work, the issues typically go away.

        Alloy wheels are typically no more than 1/4" thick across the lip where we would be doing any welding. Does this change your thoughts?
        Total mass of alloy rims ranges somewhere between 15-35lbs

        that can suck a lot of heat.... I would go no smaller than a DYN 280...

        The DYN 350 goes down to 5amps.. How would it be too much machine??
        .

        *******************************************
        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

        My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

        Comment


        • #5
          Here are a few videos showing the agility of the Dyn 350

          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...616#post286616

          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...411#post284411
          .

          *******************************************
          The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

          “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

          Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

          My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

          TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kwick1 View Post
            I operate a wheel repair business and currently sub out any welding to be done. We are looking to bring that work back in house. We have some experience but want to make sure that we get the right machine. The Syncrowave 210 seems to be a good option for us.

            The wheels we work with are aluminum alloy and we would use only a tig process.

            Please let me know what the community thinks about the Syncrowave or what other recommendations that are out there.

            Thanks in in advance for the help!

            I argue with h80n about every post i respond to but on this one he is right. A dynasty 350 would be the smallest welder i would consider, basically your going to need at least a 300 amp machine. Rims suck the heat right out of the weld. Rims are designed to remove heat from the tires and brakes, and make for difficult time to start the pool for repair. I would not buy a welder unless you can try it out a damaged rim.
            Kevin
            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
            Ln25
            Miller spectrum 625
            Miller 30a spoolgun
            Wc115a
            Lincoln 210mp
            F550 imt service truck

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
              I argue with h80n about every post i respond to but on this one he is right. A dynasty 350 would be the smallest welder i would consider, basically your going to need at least a 300 amp machine. Rims suck the heat right out of the weld. Rims are designed to remove heat from the tires and brakes, and make for difficult time to start the pool for repair. I would not buy a welder unless you can try it out a damaged rim.
              Kevin
              don't let that get around... It'll ruin your reputation...
              .

              *******************************************
              The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

              “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

              Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

              My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

              TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

              Comment


              • #8
                H80N and Tryagn5, I usually always agree with you guys and have the utmost respect for you, however a 250 synchrowave would not have a problem in the least bit with this job.

                My concern is with the operator, I have had to fix a lot of rims over the years that were welded by unqualified welders.

                For starters, the crack has to be vee-groved so the weld is 100%, They need to know how to remove the contamination out of the aluminum prior to welding and have the tools and ability to metal finish.

                Kwick1 obviously doesnt know how to repair a rim based on his statement.
                ( To have a understanding with the customer )
                What does that mean, I take that as ( If it breaks and you have a blow out at 80 and you roll your car because of it and die ) Remember what a good deal you got.

                Please dont buy a welder, pay the money and take it to a true professional.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kwick1 View Post
                  Thanks for the response. My concern is the 350 is too much machine for our purposes. But, I am looking for input.

                  I understand the concerns also about welding wheels. As long as you have limits to what you do, set the proper expectation for the customer up front, and do quality work, the issues typically go away.

                  Alloy wheels are typically no more than 1/4" thick across the lip where we would be doing any welding. Does this change your thoughts?
                  The Syncro 210 is not enough machine for 1/4" aluminum.

                  Flame away.

                  Griff

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                    H80N and Tryagn5, I usually always agree with you guys and have the utmost respect for you, however a 250 synchrowave would not have a problem in the least bit with this job......
                    Think we are all on the same page the Sync 250 is a 300Amp machine

                    300Amps @ 28% Duty Cycle... so no Argument with you...
                    .

                    *******************************************
                    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                    My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

                    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X