Miller Trade-in? XMT 450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Trade-in? XMT 450

Hello, long time lurker, 1st time poster!
    I recently picked up a new Miller XMT 450 never used with warranty. Paid airgas to install solenoid & dinse connectors but still haven't pulled the wires for it.
    It was a deal I couldn't pass up but really I just wanted a dynasty tig. Does anyone know of any trade-in or buy-back programs?
    Or would anyone be interested in a trade? Just let me know. Thanks again.

[email protected]
    Detroit, MI area.

Originally posted by cjforge View Post
    Hello, long time lurker, 1st time poster!
    I recently picked up a new Miller XMT 450 never used with warranty. Paid airgas to install solenoid & dinse connectors but still haven't pulled the wires for it.
    It was a deal I couldn't pass up but really I just wanted a dynasty tig. Does anyone know of any trade-in or buy-back programs?
    Or would anyone be interested in a trade? Just let me know. Thanks again.

[email protected]
    Detroit, MI area.
    Good luck with a trade. You bought one of the hardest niche market welders made. The xmt450 prior xmt456 have one huge drawback....requirement to have 3 phase power. All is not lost as the xmt is a good dc only tig welder.
    Kevin
    Lincoln ranger 305g x2
    Ln25
    Miller spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spoolgun
    Wc115a
    Lincoln 210mp
    F550 imt service truck

Comment

Go figure. Thanks for the info.
      It seems silly just to keep it for the occasional DC Tig.
      It's never even been used! I hoped someone would be interested.
      Are there any options with Miller Corporate?

Comment

I wouldn't call it a niche market, any shop with 3 phase power would have a top notch machine.

Mig.
        Spray Transfer.
        Pulse Mig.
        DC Tig.
        Arc welding.
        Carbon Arc gouging.

The only thing it cant do is Tig aluminum.

I have the XMT 304 in my shop and we primarily use it for Mig and carbon Arc Gouging.
        Its a great machine.

Put it on Craigs list, You might have to wait for the right person to come along, but They will buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
          I wouldn't call it a niche market, any shop with 3 phase power would have a top notch machine.

Mig.
          Spray Transfer.
          Pulse Mig.
          DC Tig.
          Arc welding.
          Carbon Arc gouging.

The only thing it cant do is Tig aluminum.

I have the XMT 304 in my shop and we primarily use it for Mig and carbon Arc Gouging.
          Its a great machine.

Put it on Craigs list, You might have to wait for the right person to come along, but They will buy it.

Bought 3 xmt456s from a closed manufactor. They were mint. Took over a year to sell them. I ended up selling them for less than a xmt350. Most companies who need a welder of that type buy new and more than one. Also they dont buy from craigslist. Realistically how many people need a 450 amp machine?
          Kevin
          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
          Ln25
          Miller spectrum 625
          Miller 30a spoolgun
          Wc115a
          Lincoln 210mp
          F550 imt service truck

Comment

Tryagn5, I do have to agree most big companies dont even consider used, but I did say you might have to sit on it for a bit, but my guess is that you will find someone to buy it for around 6-8 hundred less than what you paid.

Unfortunately my 3 phase comes from a 40 hp rotary phase converter, other wise I would be interested.

Comment

I would love to have a machine that big. And since we're on to the rotary phase converter comment, did you build that thing or buy it? I ask because I'm considering it, partly because I think it would be a fun project, partly because I need a bigger machine and 3ph ones are easier to find than single phase ones at that size. How big of a rotary phase converter does it take to run...say, a 300-ish amp welder?

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                Tryagn5, I do have to agree most big companies dont even consider used, but I did say you might have to sit on it for a bit, but my guess is that you will find someone to buy it for around 6-8 hundred less than what you paid.

Unfortunately my 3 phase comes from a 40 hp rotary phase converter, other wise I would be interested.
                Well to give an idea of value, all of the xmt456's were 2012's. All three sold for less than 2k each. They still had 1 year or so of warranty. Took a long time to sell. Power requirement is huge. I wish they were single phase like the maxtron they replaced.
                Kevin
                Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                Ln25
                Miller spectrum 625
                Miller 30a spoolgun
                Wc115a
                Lincoln 210mp
                F550 imt service truck

Comment

Ouch. Thanks for the info. Well it is a 2015 machine, never even been used. I was hoping someone over at Airgas would be interested in a trade. I think a Dynasty 200 is cheaper, right? Anyway...No luck yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X