SR-400 conversion to single phase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR-400 conversion to single phase

I bought an old SR-400 three phase. Is there any way to use this on 220 single phase?If not then it is for sale. (one heavy dude). Stands about chest high.stickman2

Nope, sell or boat anchor

Comment

Originally posted by stickman2 View Post
      I bought an old SR-400 three phase. Is there any way to use this on 220 single phase?If not then it is for sale. (one heavy dude). Stands about chest high.stickman2
      There are people who do this. Check on the Transformers, Phase Converters and VFD section of the Practical Machinist website.
      Miller Syncrowave 200
      Milermatic 252
      Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

SR-400 conversion to single phase

I have investigated a similar situation because I want a bigger machine in the fab shop out back of the house, but I only have single phase. My first route was to call the power company and see about getting 3-ph dropped out back. The guy on the phone from the power company chuckled and asked me if I was serious. $15,000 was the price tag. Not happening.

So the alternatives were a variable frequency drive or a rotary phase converter. Now I'm fairly confident you can get a rotary phase converter large enough to run a big welder, but I'm sure they're not cheap either. You could make one though. Now the VFDs seem to be more affordable, but in my short look at them, I didn't find anyone that touted one as a power source for a welding machine. Tons of info on them being used to run all sorts of other machine though. Maybe someone way smarter than me can chime in.

Comment

For the price of converting it with a big enough phase converter, you could just buy a new welder.

Comment

It is only worth while getting a big phase converter if you needed the 3 ph for more than just the welder, like a shear mill, press, etc.

Comment

I can or could and don't. And its not a substitute for being short on power.

Comment

Working...
              X