Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gouging really taxes my 100amp service, Am I killing my XMT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gnforge
    replied
    Gouging really taxes my 100amp service, Am I killing my XMT?

I do 90% of all gouging now with Hypertherm 85 very fast, a lot of control, cheaper to operate, I bought second cable with gouging style handle. Just switch & go. Just gouged out over 50 crossbeams on 45' trailer at another location with 100amp service running compressor also. No problems.
    Welding with big 40 diesel and had carbon arc with me but Hypertherm is by far my choice.
    Kinda the same as welding with stick or wire feeder. 90% of time it's the wire feeder for me.
    Just a thought. Greg

Leave a comment:

• sawdustmaker
    replied
    I do not have on engine drive compressor yet. Im looking for a 400+ amp diesel welder, but my ranger 8 doesn't like 1/4 carbons.

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied
    Originally posted by sawdustmaker View Post
    Ive been a bit nervous gouging with my XMT 350. my shop is about 400 ft (1awg aluminum) from the transformer and I don't want line voltage drops to hurt the machine. My compressor takes me from 240v at the main down to 230v, gouging at 300 amps pulls it under 210v. Iirc autoline is supposed to cover down to 190v. I'm usually very careful to make sure I only gouge when the compressor is already running but it has started while I'm welding. The voltage drop when the compressor kicks on is pretty bad. I haven't metered it but it's ugly. First question is if I'm alright gouging at 300 amps with the xmt which should be 60% duty cycle. But I'm sure the voltage drop and gouging instead of welding makes that a lot less.
    Secondly, do I need to take serious precautions to make sure the compressor never kicks on while I'm welding/gouging with the xmt?

i just checked and I have a lot bigger compressor than i thought I had. 7.5 horse 29 amp.

edit: I'm seeing about 190v when cuts on with 235v at the panel.
    this shop is a stepping stone so I'm not looking to upgrade the service here.
    Well...with my xmt 304 i ran 3/16 or 1/4 carbons, and i never exceeded 250amps. Not sure what size your running at 300...but 250amps was plenty for me. I never worried much, nor did i ever have an overheat, or warning come up. I would not worry much.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaDave
    replied
    Is an engine drive air compressor possible for you?

Leave a comment:

• Gouging really taxes my 100amp service, Am I killing my XMT?

Ive been a bit nervous gouging with my XMT 350. my shop is about 400 ft (1awg aluminum) from the transformer and I don't want line voltage drops to hurt the machine. My compressor takes me from 240v at the main down to 230v, gouging at 300 amps pulls it under 210v. Iirc autoline is supposed to cover down to 190v. I'm usually very careful to make sure I only gouge when the compressor is already running but it has started while I'm welding. The voltage drop when the compressor kicks on is pretty bad. I haven't metered it but it's ugly. First question is if I'm alright gouging at 300 amps with the xmt which should be 60% duty cycle. But I'm sure the voltage drop and gouging instead of welding makes that a lot less.
    Secondly, do I need to take serious precautions to make sure the compressor never kicks on while I'm welding/gouging with the xmt?

i just checked and I have a lot bigger compressor than i thought I had. 7.5 horse 29 amp.

edit: I'm seeing about 190v when cuts on with 235v at the panel.
    this shop is a stepping stone so I'm not looking to upgrade the service here.
    Last edited by sawdustmaker; 08-09-2015, 10:44 AM.
Working...
X