Hypertherm 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertherm 45

Today I was using the plasma cutter for the second time on a sizable job I have (cutting a welded on steel flat bed off a truck frame). The guy that built the bed welded it to the frame instead of making bolt-on mounts including the integral hitch. While I was going from cutting to gouging with the Hyaccess tips the cutting nozzle had eventually became stuck in the retaining cap. I could only get it to drop about a 1/4in and it would hang up like something somehow got in there and wouldn't let it come out.
    Well after trying to get it to drop out for a couple minutes I took a socket the same size as the hole and tapped on it. The brass end fell off inside the retaining cap neck and was jammed and twisted sideways, the rest fell out. Well now I had this end cap stuck and when I tried to untwist and unjam it the retaining cap broke about 1/2in off the end. Now I had 2 pieces that are now scrap. Just my luck, well I ordered new pieces at a total of $90 shipped so they are going to be coming, but why did it get stuck in the first place? Too much heat?
    I also noticed that sometimes i would be cutting and the torch would cutout, whats with that? I would let go of the trigger for a few seconds and pull it again and it would fire-up again. I'm new to this plasma cutter, did I not have the tip touching the work mabey? I was mostly working blind as I was crawling under the
    truck on the ground and there was some heavy rust scale.

Not sure about the gouging tip issue, likely got dropped and bent, only thing I can think of. The cutting out issue I have had with my PM600. It seems to be related to either wet air, or poor work clamp connection. Square those two issues away with a motorguard, and buff the clamp area down to bare metal before cutting. Also, you may consider putting in a new swirl ring, as that part has to move inside the torch during operation.

Comment

I would need to see some pictures of the HyAccess consumables to see what occurred with that. It is always best when you have issues like this to contact Hypertherm tech support directly....they are good at helping troubleshoot issues like this. In regards to the unit cutting out.....check the diagnostic lights as soon as it occurs. If you are seeing no indications there....then I would suggest that maybe you are have an inlet airflow issue.....if the air drops (even momentarily) below 90 psi (measured with a gauge mounted on the inlet air fittings with air flowing at the torch) the system will shut off the arc...this is to ensure adequate consumable and torch cooling.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Comment

Originally posted by jimcolt View Post
        I would need to see some pictures of the HyAccess consumables to see what occurred with that. It is always best when you have issues like this to contact Hypertherm tech support directly....they are good at helping troubleshoot issues like this. In regards to the unit cutting out.....check the diagnostic lights as soon as it occurs. If you are seeing no indications there....then I would suggest that maybe you are have an inlet airflow issue.....if the air drops (even momentarily) below 90 psi (measured with a gauge mounted on the inlet air fittings with air flowing at the torch) the system will shut off the arc...this is to ensure adequate consumable and torch cooling.

Jim Colt Hypertherm
        if I could get your address I would be happy to send them to you.

Comment

Working...
        X