X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    generators and welders

So I need to bigger power source, period. That's expensive. Figures.

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaDave
    replied
    Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
    Here's my question...since space is a premium, but I still need a welder, what kind of problems should I expect to run into with powering one of my machines off a generator? My machine options are a lincoln 140c or my maxstar 150sth. I'd absolutely prefer my maxstar, just not certain if I could damage it by running it on a generator. My power source will be a small, 2000w honda inverter generator.

So...advice please?
    When I asked miller tech, they told me the maxstar will run off any normal 5000 watt generator. It ran great off my old Generac 5000/6250 genny, transformer based mig welders did not.

The maxstar is power factor corrected (PFC) and does not require a low THD (total harmonic distortion) generator.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    generators and welders

My HTP 221 isn't the DV model. Never figured I'd need 120v with AC capacity. And really, anything aluminum that were to fail on this car during the trip would either be absolutely catastrophic or we'd be able to build a work around I think.

My other option on hand is my lincoln 140c (that I could run a spoolgun on), but I'm pretty sure that thing will take even more power to run. This isn't a bad option, and given an adequate power source, it may work well. The missing link is the power source I think. At least for my two welder options.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    That is a very good option and there is a fair amount of aluminum on this particular drag car. I got a line on a bigger power source, but it's not an inverter generator like that honda. I have used this type of generator in the past and had some sensitive electronics not work properly or not at all. Didn't cause any damage to the electronics (that I know of), but it doesn't do any good if it doesn't work. And with all the fancy schmancy electronics in these inverter welders, and how expensive they are, it terrifies me to screw one of them up.

The RV cord is a great idea and once you start looking for power sources in the field, you're absolutely right, they are not terribly hard to find. BUT it won't help me much under an overpass on the freeway. So even if I take along a shore power cord big enough to run something like my 221, I'd still want that portable welding ability. We'll have the generator to run power tools anyway, so it's a matter of multitasking the power source, welder and other tools.
    If you have the 221 DV, it might run from a standard generator. I say this because it has a very robust PFC circuit that sometimes withstands "dirty power". You might want to call HTP to verify if it can work with a standard non-inverter generator that usually doesn't fall in the "less than 5% THD" category. Either way, you need hefty power if you plan to do aluminum repairs in the field as I'm sure you know it needs hefty power at the start to overcome the heat-sinking ability of aluminum. At 120V/20A, you're limited to about 130A of welding power, which isn't much when dealing with aluminum.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    generators and welders

Always pushing the limits is how we get better.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Give drag racers a little rope and they won't hang themselves, they'll unwind it, tie each strand together, stretch it, dip in titanium and wrap into an indestructible cable because the rules didn't specifically say you couldn't.
    A phenomena not uncommon in hotrodders & racers as a class...
    I worked at Dave Kent's "Creative Car Craft" during the 1970s and saw "Many" interesting things...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-06-2015, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    generators and welders

Give drag racers a little rope and they won't hang themselves, they'll unwind it, tie each strand together, stretch it, dip in titanium and wrap into an indestructible cable because the rules didn't specifically say you couldn't.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Took the time to look up and read the rules....

http://www.hotrod.com/news/1412-fina...ules-are-here/

Holy cow..!!! they sure narrow your options for cooperation and resource sharing....

Now I have a much better understanding of the limitations...

I had no idea.. But now fully understand why they are written the way they are...
    Last edited by H80N; 08-05-2015, 08:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• weldtex
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhsY5AIyNU

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    generators and welders

I remember looking at those things back in the 90s! Anyone every use one?

I have to have power anyway, so it's a matter of matching my welding capabilities to my power source and not frying my welder at the same time. I wish I had a nice big bobcat or trailblazer, but that's out of the question...but speaking of those, what's the chance that miller starts making those machine with inverter generators soon? Or maybe they already do? I'm sort of in the market for one anyway; being in hurricane alley and all, a backup generator for house would be nice.

Leave a comment:

• weldtex
    replied
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFhsY5AIyNU

Leave a comment:

• fabricator
    replied
    Get you one of these http://readywelder.com/

Leave a comment:

• Broccoli1
    replied
    Anyone else in the group have a Honda 2000? You can parallel them with the simple banana plug kit.

That will definitely work and allow for 20amp continuos draw.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Oh.... And don't forget to throw some duct-tape.... 5-MinEpoxy...RTV(Silicon Rubber) and Ty-Wraps into your emergency kit...

Leave a comment:

• ryanjones2150
    replied
    generators and welders

That is a very good option and there is a fair amount of aluminum on this particular drag car. I got a line on a bigger power source, but it's not an inverter generator like that honda. I have used this type of generator in the past and had some sensitive electronics not work properly or not at all. Didn't cause any damage to the electronics (that I know of), but it doesn't do any good if it doesn't work. And with all the fancy schmancy electronics in these inverter welders, and how expensive they are, it terrifies me to screw one of them up.

The RV cord is a great idea and once you start looking for power sources in the field, you're absolutely right, they are not terribly hard to find. BUT it won't help me much under an overpass on the freeway. So even if I take along a shore power cord big enough to run something like my 221, I'd still want that portable welding ability. We'll have the generator to run power tools anyway, so it's a matter of multitasking the power source, welder and other tools.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X