No announcement yet.

Next 5" Grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure of the model number but home Depot has a Bosch 5" with variable speed. I've never seen a grinder with that option before but I won't buy one again without it. I want to say it's 11 or 13 amps, 4-11,000 rpms and made in Malaysia. Its kinda hard to find 5" disks around here, especially flap disks but I got a few Diablo and IMHO is the very best cut-off and grinding wheels available. I bought a 40 grit Diablo flapper and the abrasive separated from the flaps before it got much use so I returned it. The Bosch has a nice limber cord with a long sturdy connection to the grinder that won't pull out easy. The motor has a soft start that supposedly helps the life of the motor. I got the Deadman switch model because the Bosch paddle feels awkward, it has two panels to easily change out the brushes as well. The only thing I can say bad about it is the way the bearings sound while it's running. It really sounds like the bearings and the brushes are about to separate and mangle your hand but after contacting Bosch, I was told this was normal and not to worry, they have the best customer service period imo. One call and they fix it instead of giving you the run around and trying to weasel out of standing behind their products. I've welded many years, ran a grinder many more, and for me with large hands, this Bosch is the best I've found. I also have a couple of the small Bosch $49 models that I keep flap disks on for finishing work. I've even cautiously buffed my car with the variable speed Bosch and a 7" pad wheel and it turned out great! Can't go wrong with Bosch, I've always had good luck with them and I have been known to get it so hot I dunked it in a bucket of water to cool it off a few times a day and then went back at it.. Not smart, I know, but it's better than squeezing a ball of fire.. Lol

Comment

Next 5" Grinder?

That's awesome...dunking your grinder in water whahahahahahaha!!!

Hey man, whatever it takes to get it done, love it.

And I haven't cheated, but I still don't know why $10 is called a sawbuck. I know how much "two bits" is, but I don't know why it's called that either.

After all the praise for the Bosch grinders, I may give one a zing. Anyone know how the models from...say...Fastenal differ from Home Depot? I mean, where do they sell the good ones and not the crappy versions?

Comment

Originally posted by walker View Post
        Do you know why, without cheating, it is called a sawbuck?
        Cheated, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sawbuck
        Originally slang for a sawhorse, fashioned iin the 18th century by lashing together two pieces of wood into an "X" shape. With an X-shaped support at each of two ends, the contraption served to hold wood for cutting.

With the advent of the U.S. 10 dollar bill, which bears the Roman numeral X, "sawbuck" became slang for the bill, as people associated the shape with the sawhorse. The slang term "buck" originated in the mid-19th century in reference to the dollar.

In the mid-1900s "sawbuck" became street slang, apparently originating in Chicago, for a 10-dollar bag of marijuana. Since 1985 or so, the term has referred to a 10-dollar "bag" (actual bag or any kind of package) of any street drug (heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana, etc.).

Occasionally, addicts use the term sawbuck to refer to 10 dollars, particularly when they intend to use the money to purchase drugs (e.g., "Borrow me a sawbuck so i can get my sick off").

"Sawbuck" is also the name of a Chicago-based media production company that focuses on documentary films on the street-level drug world.
        "Gimme a sawbuck blow" (blow means heroin in Chicago's street level drug market).

Comment

One of my fav 5" grinders ever Mikita 9005b they will take a licking and keep on ticking all you need to change the brushes is a flat head screw drive. And there easy to put new cords on if you ever lend it out to a butter fingers co worker.

Comment

we down here been calling it a dime bag sinse the early 80's never heard of the saw buck

Comment

the other day a welder got him a new dewalt grinder .later that day we had to go to the supply store for more pipe fittings .he seen a b&d grinder for 45.00 and asked if it was any good.i told him man back in the day good old b&d was the inventors of the 4-1/2 grinder and they lasted for ever.i myself didn't see it on the shelf but if I would have I think I would have dropped the cash to get me one.right now I have 4 or 5 dewalts I have to order brushes for.

Comment

Working...
              X