Next 5" Grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next 5" Grinder?

Dewalt a come in a range from 7 amps to 13 amps for a 4.5" grinder. The price looks to be $50-ish to $200-ish respectively. I have a dewalt 10 amp, cost around $90 busk I think. Been running that little monkey for about four years with what I say is medium duty use. It's light, has lots of power for the size. My only complaint is that it gets hot pretty quick. Maybe the higher dollar ones don't. Plus, you can get them anywhere. ACE, Home Depot, probably Walmart. I'm sure everyone that has whatever it is they have are partial to that machine. I'm really pleased with mine but would probably like just about any good quality tool of any brand. Whatever you decide, just get something of good quality and not a harbor freight tent sale special.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
      Whatever you decide, just get something of good quality and not a harbor freight tent sale special.
      Nothing wrong with HFT grinders. I'm just a hobbyist, but I've run the pi$$ out of them for several years without an issue. If you have the space, it's nice to have dedicated grinders -- one with a cutoff wheel, one with a wire wheel, etc., so that you don't have to be changing wheels all the time. For my actual grinder with a grinding wheel, I use an 11 amp Milwaukee, but all the light-duty grinders are HFT. At $15 each (or less with a 20% off coupon), you can't beat the price, and they even come with extra brushes.

I also have a 9" HFT 15 amp grinder that will break your arm if you're not careful.
      Last edited by Helios; 07-26-2015, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Next 5" Grinder?

Just like everything at HF, you have to pay attention to why you buy. I bought a reciprocating saw there one time just to cut 6 nails to help a friend of mine replace a door in his house. As soon as we plugged that thing in it started smoking. Got the nails cut, but **** it got hot! But what do you expect?

Comment

I mainly use dewalt but I do have a milwalkie. I also have a . I haven't bought a grinder in over 16 years. I get the old ones from job sites they just chunk them in the trash when they stop working so I pick them up take them apart clean them up pop in some new brushes and use them till they need more brushes.at the present tim I probably have over 9 grinders 5 are working and the others need brushes. going to make a brush order as soon as work slows down. the only grinders I leave in the trash are the ones with the suicide switchs I have no use for them they are way to dangerouse to be using.

Comment

Next 5" Grinder?

So what did you decide on?

Comment

Something more than hf and less than metabo. Ha!

I'm planning on a lot of grinding for a smoker I'm going to start so I'll buy it for the that. Still need all the pieces and parts cut out and I've got some vacation in there.
              MillerMatic 251
              Maxstar 150 STH
              Cutmaster 42
              Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post

I'm planning on a lot of grinding for a smoker I'm going to start so I'll buy it for the that. Still need all the pieces and parts cut out and I've got some vacation in there.
                Now that was a politically correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi:331787
                  Originally posted by elvis View Post

Now that was a politically correct answer.
                  I do work in sales...

I have a dewalt that has done well but it gets super hot. I'm not sure I want to go with yellow again. I am thinking about Milwaukee still. They have one or two that are low cost and decent power. Plus good warranty.
                  MillerMatic 251
                  Maxstar 150 STH
                  Cutmaster 42
                  Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Next 5" Grinder?

All the major brands make a grinder in the size you're looking for that has a handle and trigger. In my experience, they are a bit cooler to work with simply because your hands aren't wrapped around the hot parts. They are a skosh heavier though I think. I don't particularly care for them because they're not easily used one handed. I work alone most of the time and I need to be able to hold the grinder in one hand and the work piece in the other. I know, totally safe, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done before the cows come home.

Metabos are cool, I've never even ran one, but a lot of people like them. Maybe if a salesman can show me why they're so proud of them, I might bite, but a display at the LWS just isn't enough for me to turn loose of my money.

Post some pictures of that smoker when you get it going.

Comment

Check craigs list too and garage sales. I got a new Bosch for $10.00 in case with a wheel ! Not a big buck one but for a sawbuck can't go wrong. You just need to be lucky. Oh, if you don't know a sawbuck is $10.00, I'm old .

Comment

Next 5" Grinder?

Distinguished. You're "distinguished", not old.

Comment

When I was having a lot of trouble with arthritis (right thumb and wrist) and had trouble holding on to my DeWalt grinders, I bought a Makita 5" with a long handle and a locking trigger switch - problem solved. My problem with holding onto things was eventually mostly cured with a fusing of the 2nd joint of my thumb.

Found out that I really liked the 5" wheel and the long handle.

John M

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                            Distinguished. You're "distinguished", not old.
                            Thanks ! And I'm good looking too !!!

Comment

I'm killing couple grinders a year, the longest lasting was old made in Germany Bosch, these new now China made ones I literaly destroy in hour or two same with Makita, pure junk.
                              Metabo's are great but pricy I have couple of them, from cheaper to most expensive, I have Milwaukee that has lock switch and it's going strong over the year now, defenetly good buy.
                              Stay away from those 2 above...
                              DYNASTY 350 DX
                              DYNASTY 200 DX
                              MILLERMATIC 251
                              1942 MONARCH CK-12 LATHE
                              1969 BRIDGEPORT J-2 HEAD MILL
                              SCOTCHMAN 350 COLD SAW
                              DAKE 200 BENDER
                              BEAUMONT METALWORKS KMG BELT GRINDER

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                                Check craigs list too and garage sales. I got a new Bosch for $10.00 in case with a wheel ! Not a big buck one but for a sawbuck can't go wrong. You just need to be lucky. Oh, if you don't know a sawbuck is $10.00, I'm old .

Do you know why, without cheating, it is called a sawbuck?

Comment

Working...
                                X