Basic welding tips and advice before choosing a career in welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic welding tips and advice before choosing a career in welding

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I just graduated out of high school and looking for a career in welding. I am searching on the syllabus and course of study about different types of welding. I have registered with a reputed welding school in Toronto and looking forward to join there . I'm doing some R&D on basics of welding before I join there. I found the interaction on this forum very interesting and wanted to know more. As a beginner what are the basic things to be kept in mind to pursue an excellent career in welding? Eager to know tips form the experienced people.

Welding is a broad field. What is it you want to do? If it is around construction work being good solid stick welder that can pass tests is where the rubber hits the road. If a guy has taken the time to learn to use a torch and can run 6010 and 7018 then he can learn most of the rest of it.
    This is a skill that really cant be fakes and is plain as day, lots of people think they can, big difference.

Comment

Number one, learn to weld. Number two, try different types/fields of welding until you find the type that you enjoy best. Get a job in that field.
      When I first thought about opening my company, I thought I wanted to be an any time, any place, any process kind of guy. I found out that I only really enjoy working with steel. I am now an Ironwork Contractor, i primarily do residential, though doing more and more commercial. Considering a switch to building iron furniture, which I already do and enjoy, just don't do a lot of.

Comment

Would you like to join a union and their apprenticeship program. It's a solid way to have a great career with benefits such as training, retirement, insurance, and working conditions.
        Wine dine pipeline!

Comment

defenetly learn how to weld first, stick and mig at least, spend certain amount of hours in sweat and toil, realized task of the jobs.
          I love welding, but aint easy work to work with steel and heat your entire life.
          I dont want to discourage you but encourage you to test yourself first...
          DYNASTY 350 DX
          DYNASTY 200 DX
          MILLERMATIC 251
          1942 MONARCH CK-12 LATHE
          1969 BRIDGEPORT J-2 HEAD MILL
          SCOTCHMAN 350 COLD SAW
          DAKE 200 BENDER
          BEAUMONT METALWORKS KMG BELT GRINDER

Comment

Basic advice and tips before choosing a career in welding

Thank you for your information.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeMarx View Post
              Hey, I'm new to this forum. I just graduated out of high school and looking for a career in welding. I am searching on the syllabus and course of study about different types of welding. I have registered with a reputed welding school in Toronto and looking forward to join there . I'm doing some R&D on basics of welding before I join there. I found the interaction on this forum very interesting and wanted to know more. As a beginner what are the basic things to be kept in mind to pursue an excellent career in welding? Eager to know tips form the experienced people.
              There is a lot of free information to get you started in the "Resources-Improvimg your Skills" section

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...g-your-skills/

you could also purchase the student kit...

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tools/#training

there are also many free videos on youtube...

The welding process that I personally enjoy the most is TIG...
              it is the most versatile but also the most difficult to master

we are all different..

best to explore an learn... get basic working skills in all process ...learn a much as you can about all of them... be versatile.. adaptable...then see which direction suits you best...
              The adaptable guy .... will always find work to eat until the right job comes along... we live in an ever changing and unstable world..
              I would not worry about choosing a specialty this early.. after all would you marry the first gal you dated..?? or would you wait till you met the RIGHT one...??...
              Last edited by H80N; 08-07-2015, 06:52 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
              X