211 or multiprocessing machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 211 or multiprocessing machine

I'm in the market for a first welder. I love the idea of the ability to stick, mig, and tig but so much good info on the 211mig going around, plus the free spool gun on top of that, should I go ahead and bite the bullet or does the rebate and free gun come around pretty often?

Originally posted by Stinkyarms09 View Post
    I'm in the market for a first welder. I love the idea of the ability to stick, mig, and tig but so much good info on the 211mig going around, plus the free spool gun on top of that, should I go ahead and bite the bullet or does the rebate and free gun come around pretty often?
    I will let someone else correct me, but I think that the spoolgun is not easy to use on thin aluminum. Whenever I Tig weld aluminum, it always seems to be thin. So unless you are welding 1/8 inch or 3/16 thick aluminum, the spoolgun may not be as useful as you might think.
    Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

I have used the Multiprocessing one time. It is a nice machine, but I would prefer dedicated machines that do 1 job very well, instead of one machine that sort of does 3 jobs. It is kind of like the old Shop Smiths - never did anything very good, and just as soon as you changed the table saw to a lathe, you invariably needed to cut something.

I have the 211 and it is a great MIG. I also have a Thunderbolt for stick and a Syncrowave for TIG. They all work great for the job they are designed for.

That said, I would opt for the 211 with Spoolgun as that is a great deal. I have seen them offer Rebates before but this is the first time I remember Miller having a free spoolgun.

Get started with the 211 and later you can add other processes as you become more proficient and have a need for them.
      Burt
      Miller Thunderbolt XL
      http://www.10FtDrillBit.com

Comment

I agree with above ^^^^. Get the 211 and go from there.
        As for the super deal and rebate, I never saw it before. Rumor has it that the current 211 is being replaced with a inverter. BUY the current one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Stinkyarms09 View Post
          Do not believe the above posters they are completely wrong about multiprocess machines. Every machine i have owned is multiprocess, and they weld excellant, both in mig and stick applications, tig is normally the so..so process. However i have tigged off both my xmt304, and my powermig 210 and both machines were on par with a econontig or dialarc tig. Fyi i took my certfication for both 5g and 6g tests using 7018, and a multiprocess xmt304. I would not buy a machine which could not mig or stick. Infact just did a job with my mp210 where i needed the mig setup, then had to switch to stick so i could weld an area where the mig gun would not fit. Also the above posters would not be able to buy an engine drive as they all are multiprocess.
          Kevin
          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
          Ln25
          Miller spectrum 625
          Miller 30a spoolgun
          Wc115a
          Lincoln 210mp
          F550 imt service truck

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
            Do not believe the above posters they are completely wrong about multiprocess machines. .....
            Really..??

just one mans opinion...

many experienced welders would disagree..

a lot of those low end multi machines are a real compromise...

The MM211 is an excellent MIG machine with a proven several year track record...

there are a LOT of very happy MM211 owners out there and on this board..
            Last edited by H80N; 07-10-2015, 03:37 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
            Dynasty 200DX
            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Start off by buying the 211, its a very capable machine. It will take care of your steel mig needs barring the real thick stuff. It will not be the magic bullet however for welding aluminum. If you can, get a 211 for steel mig only at a good price and save your money. Buy a Dynasty 200 later to do some aluminum tig work. You can also stick weld with the Dynasty. With a MM 211 and a Dynasty 200 dx you will be very capable. And happy!

If i had to start all over again, that's the combo Id go with. With the dynasty, its very seldom i pick up the spool gun on the 350p to do some aluminum. Unless its thicker than 1/8th and the size of a boat.

Ja
              Last edited by ja baudin; 07-10-2015, 08:07 PM.
              sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
              Millermatic 350P
              30A Spoolgun
              Lincoln Pro Mig 140
              Hypertherm Powermax 30
              14" Rage Evolution dry saw
              40 ton press brake
              Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                Really..??

just one mans opinion...

many experienced welders would disagree..

a lot of those low end multi machines are a real compromise...

The MM211 is an excellent MIG machine with a proven several year track record...

there are a LOT of very happy MM211 owners out there and on this board..

Once again you see only what you want. Name a current multiprocess welder from either lincoln or miller which does the mig or stick process poorly. Lift arc tig is still decent from any of these machines. Stop pushing bad advice to further you goal of shooting down the mp210. Lets be honest as you hate the fact there is a good entry level machine which does 2 processes excallant and one process decent. Further are you then saying the multimatic 200 is a poor stick welder, or a poor mig welder...
                To the orginal poster try a multimatic 200, mp210 out and compare. Why would anyone buy a 212, 211 etc then go out and buy a thunderbolt to stick weld. Now thats a stick welder with a poor arc. Fyi im going to recertify as our certs have changed. Maybe i will take my mp210 to the hall and use it, and post it on you tube.
                Kevin
                Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                Ln25
                Miller spectrum 625
                Miller 30a spoolgun
                Wc115a
                Lincoln 210mp
                F550 imt service truck

Comment

There will be varied opinions...

and the discussion can get quite spirited...

we have done this one before...

here are some old threads that might be useful..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ighlight=210mp

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ighlight=210mp

BTW... the free spoolgun offer on the MM211 is still in effect till July 31...

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00245

Last edited by H80N; 07-11-2015, 07:55 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

What happens on the NEW MULTI PROCESS machines when say the mig goes bad ??? Are the other processes affected ? If so now you have a do all machine that won't do .

Comment

Another thread... but shows what a lot of MM211 owners think...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ew-MIG-machine

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                        Do not believe the above posters they are completely wrong about multiprocess machines. Every machine i have owned is multiprocess, and they weld excellant, both in mig and stick applications, tig is normally the so..so process. However i have tigged off both my xmt304, and my powermig 210 and both machines were on par with a econontig or dialarc tig. Fyi i took my certfication for both 5g and 6g tests using 7018, and a multiprocess xmt304. I would not buy a machine which could not mig or stick. Infact just did a job with my mp210 where i needed the mig setup, then had to switch to stick so i could weld an area where the mig gun would not fit. Also the above posters would not be able to buy an engine drive as they all are multiprocess.
                        Kevin
                        Ah, your 304 is a $5,000.00 machine. I think there is a difference between a 304 and a Multimatic™ 200 that cost $2,000.00.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
                          Ah, your 304 is a $5,000.00 machine. I think there is a difference between a 304 and a Multimatic™ 200 that cost $2,000.00.
                          Multimatical and powermig 210 welds 7018 as well as my xmt did. Only differnce with my xmt is it had a bettar dig adjustment. However both the pm210 and multimatic are leaps bettar than a thunderbolt or dialarc. Pm210 is cheaper. Xmt had bettar tig arc. However i use the dynasty at work if i tig anything nice.
                          Kevin
                          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                          Ln25
                          Miller spectrum 625
                          Miller 30a spoolgun
                          Wc115a
                          Lincoln 210mp
                          F550 imt service truck

Comment

I spent a year at the local votech using an xmt304 to TIG/MIG/Stick. During the time I was in school I bought a Multimatic 200. The only difference I found between the 2 when stickwelding (7018/6010) was output and duty cycle. The XMT would weld all day long whereas you have to consider the MM200 duty cycle (though this is NO issue with my at-home welding uses).

Ditto for MIG. Just can't use as big a wire or run as hot or long with the MM200. But, at the same output, wire size, etc., I am just as happy with my MM200 for what I do around the house.

As far as TIG, the MM200 uses the same Lift Arc as we used with the XMT. Again, putting aside output, duty cycle, etc., I can TIG as good with my MM200 as I could with the XMT (of course, I'm just not that good at TIGging!!).

Back to the original question - multiprocess vs stand alone.... Someone compared it to the Shopsmith. With the way I weld as a hobbyist, I tend to use one process for whatever job I am working on. There is the odd occasion where I will start with one and then change to another but it is rare. So, I set up the machine for that particular job and I don't need to make any changes during the entire job. With woodworking you use multiple tools with almost any job you do. So, you have to change from the table saw to the bandsaw to the drill press to the sander, etc., multiple times during most any job. So, you have to go thru all the setups/adjustments for the Shopsmith where I rarely ever do that with my MM200.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of my Multimatic 200 in all 3 processes. Again, maybe that is because I am just a hobbyist but it does everything that I need and can do a much better job than my skills currently allow

So, if it breaks I am out a welder completely while it is being repaired. Again, in my position that is not a huge loss. I would not expect it to be in the shop long and I don't use it every day. The only time this would become a factor is if I were in the middle of a project when it failed. But, if I had standalone machines and the one I wanted to use for a project went down, it would still need to be repaired. Granted I could probably use another process/machine but since I had chosen a particular process for a particular job, I would probably end up waiting for the machine to be repaired anyway - unless it were some time critical build/repair (which I don't have many of!!)

Comment

Working...
                            X