Miller Bobcat 225

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Bobcat 225

Hey guys it's my first time on here. I would like to know what equipment is needed to tig weld with my new bobcat welder. I've been told that I can't weld aluminum with it so would I be better off with a mig attachment or suitcase extreme? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Well, scratch start tig is fine, nothing critical though. And yes a X-Treme would be fine for Mig

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Well, scratch start tig is fine, nothing critical though. And yes a X-Treme would be fine for Mig
      Thanks.

Comment

Who said you can't TIG aluminum with the Bobcat?

By itself for AC no, but just add an HF-251D-1 high frequency arc starter and have at it. You won't have remote amperage control with a Bobcat which can limit your aluminum TIG options. The TIG torch will be hot all the time unless the HF-251D has the optional contactor and you use a foot or finger control to activate it.

If you want to hook it up you can use the HF-251D-1 on DC too for HF start instead of scratch but you still won't have remote amperage control or contactor.
        MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
        *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
        *HF-251D-1
        *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
        PakMaster 100XL
        Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
        http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

My local air gas where I purchased my Bobcat told me that it was probably not a good idea to tig with it. But the Nex air down the road gave me the same info you have. Before I worked on the Railroad I worked in machine shops and tig welded, but have never tig welded in the field. I was pretty sure you could just didn't know what equipment would make it possible. Thanks for the info.

Comment

They may have meant "it was probably not a good idea" from the standpoint of what was pointed out above with regard to no remote amperage control, no contactor and no high frequency when used for TIG by itself. I would have asked them to be a little more specific in their claim.

But the manual itself confirms TIG is a process the Bobcat is capable of only it states "Non-Critical TIG" as cruizer mentioned earlier.
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            *HF-251D-1
            *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
            PakMaster 100XL

Comment

That machine will DC tig ferrous metals with excelent results. No need for fancy hf start and remote amp control with DC tig.
              Lincoln Idealarc 250
              Miller Bobcat 250
              Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
              Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by snoeproe View Post
                That machine will DC tig ferrous metals with excelent results. No need for fancy hf start . . .
                That's why I stated "If you want to hook it up . . . " if the OP ever got one for AC aluminum TIG with his Bobcat.
                Syncrowave 180 SD
                *HF-251D-1
                *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                PakMaster 100XL

Comment

Working...
                X