Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What guage wire do i need for 220 while running my plasma cutter and air compressor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sberry
    replied
    Buddy is fine for the load he is pulling. Put any lights op-osite the compressor and the only minor concern here is that the comp is 120 and will take the load out of balance when it comes on and not sure how much it will droop the leg. The plasma is fairly tolerant I am sure but you wont overheat the 8 wire with these.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Okay, I'm thick. If I understand correctly, Buddy has a 40 amp breaker in his house panel feeding a less than 100 foot 8 gauge wire to a sub panel in his garage with a 40 amp main breaker in it. Assuming proper installation of quality, proper functioning products, where is the danger????
    If he pulls more than 40 amps total(either leg) from the sub panel he has 2 x 40 amp breakers that should trip to protect him from himself. Will his wiring burst into flame? How, if his breakers perform as intended?
    Is he likely to endure nuisance trips. I'd think it might be likely with what he is running and if he does he should seriously consider a system upgrade. Would it be nice to have a more robust supply? For sure. Is it within code? I don't know.---Meltedmetal

Leave a comment:

• USMCPOP
    replied
    Buddy,

I think the panel in my garage is a 200 Amp main panel. Doesn't matter that I'm using it as a sub panel for less than the rated load. What matters is that the wire from the 150 Amp main panel feeding it is fully capable of supporting a constant load of 100 Amps, which is what the breakers are at each end. All fully capable of handling it.

I have two service entry breaker panels of 150 Amps each and I fed the garage off one that had smaller connected loads. I believe this is 320 Amp service in the trade, about the most you can get with a common self-contained meter, though there are some 400 Amp residential meters out there.

You must size your wiring, breakers and panels to service the anticipated loads under all conditions. That is why there are codes. Be safe and sleep well, I think.

Leave a comment:

• DATEC
    replied
    Sorry, I've done all I can do. I'm out.

Leave a comment:

• OscarJr
    replied
    buddy, sounds like you've got this all figured out and already have your mind made up. Most people are telling you that overall, it's not sounding like too good of an idea. But since you already have it installed, it sounds like you're just waiting for a couple people to say "yea man that's ok" so you can feel better about it. I've yet to read you saying "yes perhaps it is better fior a licensed electrican to have a look at it", which is what most of us are waiting to read.

Leave a comment:

• BUDDY JR
    replied
    Originally posted by datec View Post
    you have a 100a breaker box in the garage and have a 40a breaker feeding it from the house? You don't have hardly any power left before you trip the breaker at the house. I would change that for sure. What size is the main breaker at the house?
    for the garage its 40 amp

Leave a comment:

• DATEC
    replied
    Originally posted by BUDDY JR View Post
    And also a 40 amp breaker in the garage also.
    Just read that. So you are even with the breaker sizes (house and garage) the house should have a value slightly higher then what the garage is. If you are willing to change the wire from the house to garage you might as well do it right it is not that much more get the larger wire and then you can replace the breaker to something more appropriate to the demand so long as your house panel has room.

Leave a comment:

• DATEC
    replied
    Originally posted by BUDDY JR View Post
    Yes the breaker in the house is protected with a 40 amp breaker.
    You have a 100a breaker box in the garage and have a 40a breaker feeding it from the house? You don't have hardly any power left before you trip the breaker at the house. I would change that for sure. What size is the main breaker at the house?

Leave a comment:

• BUDDY JR
    replied
    What guage wire do i need for 220 while running my plasma cutter and air compressor.

And also a 40 amp breaker in the garage also.

Leave a comment:

• BUDDY JR
    replied

Yes the breaker in the house is protected with a 40 amp breaker.

Leave a comment:

• DATEC
    replied
    http://www.electrician2.com/calculat..._distance.html

Here is another link that will also help with max distance. Just fill in the information you are looking for and it will tell you and you can change from alum. to
    Copper just remember the breaker panel will be 220 from the house to the garage, from there (inside your garage for outlets) you can figure for either by changing the value and filling in the other information hit calculate and the max length will be figured for you, easy as that.

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    Is the 8 ga. wire from the house panel to the garage panel on a 40 amp breaker in the house panel? If so and it is shorter than 100 feet, even though it may not be up to code somehow, the 8 ga. is protected by a 40 amp breaker. Where's the problem except when the breaker trips you will have to walk back to the house to reset it?
    http://cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

Edit:It must also be copper.
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 06-28-2015, 08:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BUDDY JR
    replied

Only thing that will be on is shop lights and one of the following at a time. Plasma cutter. 211 welder. The compressor is 110. Only one unit at a time will be used.

Leave a comment:

• DATEC
    replied
    If that is what you have now. I read this as you are looking to rewire the main breaker panel from your house and feed the 100a breaker panel in your garage, correct?
    And that you want to do that with 8ga wire, correct? If that is true then i say, NO, that is too small a wire to do that safely with the electrical demand you will be pulling.
    If you are looking to draw a new 220 outlet from your garage panel to run the compressor in your garage using the 8ga wire then I say you should be fine as long as its copper and no longer then 20ft with a 40a breaker.

I checked and the 8ga length could be longer with a 40a breaker 60ft w/alum and 100ft w/copper. But please check with you local electrician and make sure. Also my local code requires all out buildings with a breaker box to have their own grounding rod installed. Again please check with your locals and let us know what you find out.
    Last edited by DATEC; 06-28-2015, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BUDDY JR
    replied
    Originally posted by DATEC View Post
    Leave the compressor on it's own outlet and breaker. You can make another breaker and outlet for both the plasma and welder (shared) I would think that the likely hood if both the welder and plasma being used at the same time to be not likely as long as a friend isn't doing something also. But if you do have a friend using the plasma while you are welding then you would want to place each of those on their own outlet and breaker. I would keep the lights and other outlets on the own breaker splitting those in 1/2, one side of your shop on 1 breaker and the other on another breaker. Do the math including all lights and you will have an idea of how big of a main breaker you need. Keep in mind that you will need one slightly larger in the house to feed the 100a panel in the garage like 110a or 120a you do not want those to be same amps again to take any surge load.
    Thats the way it is hooked up now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X