Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What guage wire do i need for 220 while running my plasma cutter and air compressor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUDDY JR View Post
    And also a 40 amp breaker in the garage also.
    Just read that. So you are even with the breaker sizes (house and garage) the house should have a value slightly higher then what the garage is. If you are willing to change the wire from the house to garage you might as well do it right it is not that much more get the larger wire and then you can replace the breaker to something more appropriate to the demand so long as your house panel has room.

Comment

Originally posted by datec View Post
      you have a 100a breaker box in the garage and have a 40a breaker feeding it from the house? You don't have hardly any power left before you trip the breaker at the house. I would change that for sure. What size is the main breaker at the house?
      for the garage its 40 amp

Comment

buddy, sounds like you've got this all figured out and already have your mind made up. Most people are telling you that overall, it's not sounding like too good of an idea. But since you already have it installed, it sounds like you're just waiting for a couple people to say "yea man that's ok" so you can feel better about it. I've yet to read you saying "yes perhaps it is better fior a licensed electrican to have a look at it", which is what most of us are waiting to read.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
        HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
        HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
        HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
        HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Sorry, I've done all I can do. I'm out.

Comment

Buddy,

I think the panel in my garage is a 200 Amp main panel. Doesn't matter that I'm using it as a sub panel for less than the rated load. What matters is that the wire from the 150 Amp main panel feeding it is fully capable of supporting a constant load of 100 Amps, which is what the breakers are at each end. All fully capable of handling it.

I have two service entry breaker panels of 150 Amps each and I fed the garage off one that had smaller connected loads. I believe this is 320 Amp service in the trade, about the most you can get with a common self-contained meter, though there are some 400 Amp residential meters out there.

You must size your wiring, breakers and panels to service the anticipated loads under all conditions. That is why there are codes. Be safe and sleep well, I think.
            Miller stuff:
            Dialarc 250 (1974)
            Syncrowave 250 (1992)
            Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

Okay, I'm thick. If I understand correctly, Buddy has a 40 amp breaker in his house panel feeding a less than 100 foot 8 gauge wire to a sub panel in his garage with a 40 amp main breaker in it. Assuming proper installation of quality, proper functioning products, where is the danger????
              If he pulls more than 40 amps total(either leg) from the sub panel he has 2 x 40 amp breakers that should trip to protect him from himself. Will his wiring burst into flame? How, if his breakers perform as intended?
              Is he likely to endure nuisance trips. I'd think it might be likely with what he is running and if he does he should seriously consider a system upgrade. Would it be nice to have a more robust supply? For sure. Is it within code? I don't know.---Meltedmetal
              ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Buddy is fine for the load he is pulling. Put any lights op-osite the compressor and the only minor concern here is that the comp is 120 and will take the load out of balance when it comes on and not sure how much it will droop the leg. The plasma is fairly tolerant I am sure but you wont overheat the 8 wire with these.

Comment

Working...
                X