Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What guage wire do i need for 220 while running my plasma cutter and air compressor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BUDDY JR View Post
    I have a 100 amp breaker box in the garage. The garage is about 50ft from the house. My question is will a 8 guage wire from the house to the garage be good. I heard it will be fine.
    No- you can not and should not feed the 100amp breaker in the garage sub panel with 8g wire.

You can only do that for a dedicated circuit/ receptacle where the tool/ machine has a duty cycle that would not overheat the lower gauge wire.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Not knowing more about your situation, I would go with a minimum of 1 gauge copper or 2/0 aluminum. Read the links provided, please!

My 50 Amp outlet and anything connected to it that can draw that much uses 6 gauge. And they are very short runs. I may step up another breaker to 80A and it will get higher temp rated 4 gauge wires in conduit.

Electrical wiring isn't rocket science - until it blows up and burns down your launch pad.
      Miller stuff:
      Dialarc 250 (1974)
      Syncrowave 250 (1992)
      Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

What guage wire do i need for 220 while running my plasma cutter and air compressor.

The 220 has its own breaker going to the wall plug.

Comment

The 220 has its own breaker going todifferent plug.
          I would run the compressor on it's own dedicated outlet and breaker, you will need to look at the motor to see what amps it draws and go 10 more, that will also clue you in on the wire size. Keep the plasma cutter and all other equipment on their own breakers separate from anything else that will pull a heavy draw. You will have to look at each piece of equipment and add the amps each requires and get a breaker slightly larger to take the surge load.
          That is why when you trip a breaker in your house parts of differant rooms loose power. Your electric stove for example will be on it's own dedicated breaker. What you are doing by doing this is sharing the load with little chance that you will overload one particular circuit and starting a fire.
          You also can share 1/2 of your shop lights and outlets with differant breakers to even the load unless you have enough slots for more breakers. But you must do the math with every piece of equipment and spread out the load to differant breakers.

Comment

The shop lights have separate breakers. The compressor is on its own breaker and the 220 is on its own breaker. My welder won't pull no more than 40 amps nor will my plasma cutter.

Comment

Leave the compressor on it's own outlet and breaker. You can make another breaker and outlet for both the plasma and welder (shared) I would think that the likely hood if both the welder and plasma being used at the same time to be not likely as long as a friend isn't doing something also. But if you do have a friend using the plasma while you are welding then you would want to place each of those on their own outlet and breaker. I would keep the lights and other outlets on the own breaker splitting those in 1/2, one side of your shop on 1 breaker and the other on another breaker. Do the math including all lights and you will have an idea of how big of a main breaker you need. Keep in mind that you will need one slightly larger in the house to feed the 100a panel in the garage like 110a or 120a you do not want those to be same amps again to take any surge load.

Comment

Originally posted by DATEC View Post
                You have to factor all things using power lites, welder, compressor etc. Let's say you compressor uses 20a to run when it first fires up the surge electric can be as high as 35-40a, and if you have other things using electric you can momentarily overload the line causing a brown-out or pop the main breaker. If you are using a welder at the time you also running the compressor you could be starving them and best case hurt the units over time worst case you melt the wire and have a fire. I'm not an electrician either but always over-kill the minimum requirements especially when it comes to electrical and always call one to be sure.
                If you fill out the info in the link i provided it will tell you 1/0 wire, I think.
                Im not using everything in the garage on one breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by DATEC View Post
                  Leave the compressor on it's own outlet and breaker. You can make another breaker and outlet for both the plasma and welder (shared) I would think that the likely hood if both the welder and plasma being used at the same time to be not likely as long as a friend isn't doing something also. But if you do have a friend using the plasma while you are welding then you would want to place each of those on their own outlet and breaker. I would keep the lights and other outlets on the own breaker splitting those in 1/2, one side of your shop on 1 breaker and the other on another breaker. Do the math including all lights and you will have an idea of how big of a main breaker you need. Keep in mind that you will need one slightly larger in the house to feed the 100a panel in the garage like 110a or 120a you do not want those to be same amps again to take any surge load.
                  Thats the way it is hooked up now.

Comment

If that is what you have now. I read this as you are looking to rewire the main breaker panel from your house and feed the 100a breaker panel in your garage, correct?
                    And that you want to do that with 8ga wire, correct? If that is true then i say, NO, that is too small a wire to do that safely with the electrical demand you will be pulling.
                    If you are looking to draw a new 220 outlet from your garage panel to run the compressor in your garage using the 8ga wire then I say you should be fine as long as its copper and no longer then 20ft with a 40a breaker.

I checked and the 8ga length could be longer with a 40a breaker 60ft w/alum and 100ft w/copper. But please check with you local electrician and make sure. Also my local code requires all out buildings with a breaker box to have their own grounding rod installed. Again please check with your locals and let us know what you find out.
                    Last edited by DATEC; 06-28-2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Only thing that will be on is shop lights and one of the following at a time. Plasma cutter. 211 welder. The compressor is 110. Only one unit at a time will be used.

Comment

Is the 8 ga. wire from the house panel to the garage panel on a 40 amp breaker in the house panel? If so and it is shorter than 100 feet, even though it may not be up to code somehow, the 8 ga. is protected by a 40 amp breaker. Where's the problem except when the breaker trips you will have to walk back to the house to reset it?
                        http://cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

Edit:It must also be copper.
                        Last edited by Meltedmetal; 06-28-2015, 08:48 PM.
                        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

http://www.electrician2.com/calculat..._distance.html

Here is another link that will also help with max distance. Just fill in the information you are looking for and it will tell you and you can change from alum. to
                          Copper just remember the breaker panel will be 220 from the house to the garage, from there (inside your garage for outlets) you can figure for either by changing the value and filling in the other information hit calculate and the max length will be figured for you, easy as that.

Comment

Yes the breaker in the house is protected with a 40 amp breaker.

Comment

And also a 40 amp breaker in the garage also.

Comment

Yes the breaker in the house is protected with a 40 amp breaker.
                                You have a 100a breaker box in the garage and have a 40a breaker feeding it from the house? You don't have hardly any power left before you trip the breaker at the house. I would change that for sure. What size is the main breaker at the house?

Comment

Working...
                                X