Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 211

Hi,

Just got a new MIG and the owners manual says I can wire the outlet with 14g wire at 54 feet. I'm just an old plumber, but I run heavier gauge wire to a 110 volt outlet. Is thie right?

Thanks for any help in advance

The manual is correct because the machine has a Duty Cycle- not on ALL the time.

NEC Art 630 allows for these types of installations but only when you follow all the rules under 630.

Muddies up the waters for home/hobby people trying to wire up a new circuit for their machines.

30amp breaker with 10g wire is a good match for the MM211.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

+1. If you really dig into Article 630 and its cross-references you will see why the NEC says right up front it is not a design guide, but rather minimum safety requirements. You can create some rather "on the edge" designs and still technically meet code, but that doesn't mean they are best practice. Broccoli's recommendation is good conservative design. I have a MM211, and while Miller's statement is perfectly within code, and safe, it's too "on the edge" for my liking-I will never plug mine into a#14 cord. I have personally seen connectors on extension cords catch fire at high, but legal, loads. It's the old adage, "Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should". Use some bigger wire.

Comment

I agree with the other 2. I have 2 outlets on posts that I rewired with 10-2w ground to a dedicated 30A breaker for the welder when I use it on 110v, I already had a 220 outlet dedicated for the previous welder I had.
        Don't forget to use an outlet made for 20A, it is different then the standard outlet.
        Dave
        Last edited by DATEC; 06-19-2015, 04:34 PM.

Comment

No one thinks the minimum wire for these is a great idea and introduces a whole new set of problems. A 10 wire makes for a tailor made circuit and fits the connectors on the recepts well etc and also allows for breaker up to 50a for use with small stick machines.

Comment

I realize the specs are written legal like but these are marketed to the DIY and there should be a lay section, it could be above code minimum but reduce some of the confusion.

How much could it hurt to toss out the 14 wire? Spec a 12? There is probably some reasoning that hasn't occurred to me. I spose then they would have to splain how you can put a 50 on a 12 which brings another layer of complications describing methods etc.
            Last edited by Sberry; 06-20-2015, 06:07 AM.

Comment

110v migs and voltage drop

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
              The manual is correct because the machine has a Duty Cycle- not on ALL the time.

NEC Art 630 allows for these types of installations but only when you follow all the rules under 630.

Muddies up the waters for home/hobby people trying to wire up a new circuit for their machines.

30amp breaker with 10g wire is a good match for the MM211.
              Amen!
              110v migs are wholly sensitive to voltage drop, which means the performance
              will suffer.
              A satisfied 211 owner of 4 years.

Comment

I believe the MVP has warnings about cord modifications. I have asked here a couple times but didn't get much of an explanation but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not all engineers are real familiar with codes. I don't know most but have fiddled with this one pertaining to small welder installation in particular. I suspect there is some ocpd in the 50A adapter.
                The 240V models come with a 12 cord so they can be plugged to 50A circuits, the demands of the machine can be met thru a 14.
                Last edited by Sberry; 06-22-2015, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X