Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

308l ss self shielding wire will it work in a millermatic 140????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 308l ss self shielding wire will it work in a millermatic 140????

On the chart in the machine and in the owners manual it doesn't list 308 ss flux core self shielding wire....does this mean I can't use it?

base metal 304
    wire 308l ss self shielded

millermatic 140 90amp mig welder

thanks for your help

dave

Dave welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast PA200

Comment

What is the diameter of the wire?

Note that stainless steel MIG welding generally calls for a special gas. I don't know how critical that is, however.

You may want to look at the Miller welding calculator, which will help you figure out what wire feed speed you need, and will also tell you if the project requires more amps than you have. It will allow you to specify stainless steel. You can then change it to regular steel, and see how much the parameters change. It may be that the settings are not all that different.

Richard

Originally posted by Davidjets View Post
      On the chart in the machine and in the owners manual it doesn't list 308 ss flux core self shielding wire....does this mean I can't use it?

base metal 304

thanks for your help

dave
      Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

I did not read your note carefully enough. The self-shielding wire is a somewhat different animal. You should probably go back to the manufacturer's website and see what it says. Note that if it says spray transfer, your welder is not powerful enough to support it.

Does your welder support the flux core mild steel wire, according to its manual?

Richard

Originally posted by Davidjets View Post

base metal 304

thanks for your help

dave
        Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

I used .023 bare 308 and 316 wire with trigas on my 140. Never tried the flux core

Comment

Working...
          X