Digital Infinity Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Infinity Helmet

Hi everyone, i just purchased the miller digital infinity welding helmet. While welding the helmet is great. very nice large viewing area and clear viewing of the weld puddle.

The problem i have with this helmet seems to be while i am not welding. first of all the helmet has a lot of trouble staying in the "up" position. no matter how tight i make the knobs on the outside of the helmet the hood wants to fall back down when i raise it. The other problem i have with it is the helmet constantly wants to ride up my head. I have tried adjusting it back and forth and i can't seem to have any luck. Anybody else experiment with this yet?

Do you wear a hat with it ? Might help

As for staying up, maybe the headgear is missing a washer for tightening .

Comment

The back of the head gear has this new design with a wide rubber grip. Kind of feels like a palm is grasping the back of your scalp. Feels like a very comfortable fit when you first put it on, but some how the helmet works it's way up your head when you wear it.

I had a Miller performance series helmet before this and that helmet had a more traditional rectangle portion of the head gear which kept the helmet in place much better. I need to see if i can change out the head gear or modify it.

I will check to see if a washer is missing, i have never loosened the side knobs all the way. Are there just some nylon washers below the knobs?

On the plus side the lens is real nice. clear view of the weld puddle and the extra screen area is real nice especially when you are out of position and looking at the puddle from weird angles.

Comment

I have had several of the miller digital hoods over the years (have 3 now) They are all like that. None stay up unless you push it all the way up and they do not stay put on my head (I dont wear anything else on my head). Miller just cannot design
        a decent headgear. I like the lenses which is why I guess I still but Them.
        2- XMT's 350 cc/cv
        1- Blue star 185
        1- BOBCAT 250
        1- TRAILBLAZER 302
        1- MILLER DVI
        2- PASSPORT PLUS
        1- DYNASTY 200 DX
        1- DYNASTY 280 DX
        1- MAXSTAR 150 STL
        1- HF-251 BOX
        1- S-74D
        1- S-75DXA
        2- 12-RC SUITCASES
        1- 8-VS SUITCASE
        2- 30 A SPOOLGUNS

Comment

Same problem with mine.

Comment

Same problem with mine.

I have had objections to every helmet I've owned. With this one, Miller has pretty much answered the problem of keeping the helmet on my head, thank you, thank you!!

But no designer of helmet support systems has yet figured out the seemingly basic engineering concept that if you want to have a good-working, finely-adjustable escapement mechanism for the tilt-up/tilt-down, you have to make it at least the diameter of a 50-cent-piece, not the diameter of a nickel, as all designers so far have done it. Why do they all persist in this? The escapement/drag mechanism can be of a much larger diameter without getting in the way at all . . . .
            Last edited by old jupiter; 06-15-2015, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Yup- Miller just can't seem to get the head gear correct.

Ed Conley
              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
              MM252
              MM211
              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Same trouble here with Elite version. Some bean counter saved company 5 cents each but making a lot of unhappy customers
                252 Miller Mig
                180 Synchrowave
                R - 45 Milling Machine
                Kingston 1100 Lathe
                Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                  I have had several of the miller digital hoods over the years (have 3 now) They are all like that. None stay up unless you push it all the way up and they do not stay put on my head (I dont wear anything else on my head). Miller just cannot design
                  a decent headgear. I like the lenses which is why I guess I still but Them.
                  Same here. The lenses are great but the headgear sucks. Especially the new improved version supplied with the CoolBand.

Griff

Comment

I love the fit of my new digital infinity. Mine clicks into place and stays up very well. Just have to lift up until you hear the click. I like the fit a lot better than the digital elite I bought for work.

Comment

Purchased a new Digital Infinity this summer with my new mig 211. I have kept the helmet for when I do tig so it has not seen much use yet.
                      Was using it this eve while tigging a small project. The helmet is heavy so the click stop to hold the helmet up will not hold. If you are looking up or straight ahead it will tend to keep the helmet up, but if you look down at all the helmet will come slamming down and hit you hard in the chest or chin.
                      It is quite annoying. I had visions of calmly walking out to my Ford Explorer in the driveway and placing the helmet behind the back wheel and driving over it until the crunching stops. I am going to contact Miller and see if there are any solutions. It appears that the click stop may only be on one side of the headgear and it could possibly be added to the other to give the helmet two. It is astonishing that Miller could sell a helmet that seems so untested. Anybody who uses it for 10min would observe the same problem. When you consider what the helmet costs, the poor engineering is becomes a joke.

Comment

You and I seem to share the same temperament with things. Although, I'm not so sure I would've made it to the drive way as a BFH works pretty well and is probably more satisfying. <br />
                        <br />
                        I have the digital elite, so I don't really know the differences, if any.

Comment

I have used a digital elite for a year and have been using my Titanium for 2 years now. I just tightened the living crap out of the side knobs, both my Elite and Titanium stay up now despite my head movements, might drop once in a while but its almost never.

Make sure you guys really, really tighten those knobs. I used to have the same issue with both hoods but I just cranked on those knobs with my hands and got it to stop.

Been using my Titanium for the last 5 hours, didn't drop at all. Was cutting, grinding, welding, having the hood up when clamping stuff, no problem.
                          if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Working...
                          X