Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top quality clear coat for metal finished steel table?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Top quality clear coat for metal finished steel table?

    I am looking for suggestions for a clear coat(laquer, acrylic, etc etc etc doesn't matter to me as much as quality does). I am building a wrought iron(actually forged steel in today's age I guess) desk for one of the company owners. I am looking for the best clear to finish this. It will be in a climate controlled office but it is a raw finish that was done with flap disks and Norzon . It's important not to see rust down the road and quite the pain in the butt to keep ready for paint. Thanks. Dave

  • #2
    Powder..

    Originally posted by JerseyWelder View Post
    I am looking for suggestions for a clear coat(laquer, acrylic, etc etc etc doesn't matter to me as much as quality does). I am building a wrought iron(actually forged steel in today's age I guess) desk for one of the company owners. I am looking for the best clear to finish this. It will be in a climate controlled office but it is a raw finish that was done with flap disks and Norzon . It's important not to see rust down the road and quite the pain in the butt to keep ready for paint. Thanks. Dave
    Have you considered clear powdercoat...???

    I have NOT used it but have seen a considerable amount of wrought iron (steel) artwork finished with it in the last few years.. very tough and durable.. over the "natural" steel..

    being electrostaticly applied.. it will go around corners and get to more places than other application methods.. with the exception of dipping..

    if it is not subject to outside sunlight-UV it should have a very long lifespan..

    just a thought..
    Last edited by H80N; 06-02-2015, 02:55 PM.
    .

    *******************************************
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

    “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

    Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

    My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

    TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

    Comment


    • #3
      I have been using Sculpt Nuveau clear coat in satin. Easy to use and dries fast. Most important part is spraying with dry air. Moisture in the air will cause rust spots down the road.

      Comment


      • #4
        Sculpt Nuveau clear coat

        Originally posted by walker View Post
        I have been using Sculpt Nuveau clear coat in satin. Easy to use and dries fast. Most important part is spraying with dry air. Moisture in the air will cause rust spots down the road.
        Walker

        Their products are new to me...

        they have a few different clear coats..

        which one do you suggest??

        http://www.sculptnouveau.com/Results.cfm?category=7

        .

        *******************************************
        The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

        “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

        Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

        My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

        TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

        Comment


        • #5
          I have been using the Clear Guard Satin. I just finished spraying about 15 gallons of on a bunch of steel for a restaurant. Perma Laq is another brand that is pretty similar.

          Comment


          • #6
            Clear powder coat FTW!

            Comment


            • #7
              Clear powder coat is the only way to go, simply because spraying clear out of a gun will run on one or more of the hard corners and you can't get all areas like powder is able to. Brushing clear on is for beginners or pool fence builders ... dont do it. I do this for a living and clear powder coating is ideal.

              Just tell your vendor to not sand blast the table, just wipe it down before clearing. They should know this. Make sure their guys wear clean gloves when handling the table, not even touching it with their sweaty forearms while moving it around. Any bare skin contact will flash-rust overnight. Just be upfront with them that you need this to have special attention paid to it to lock in the surface finish you have created. They will accommodate you. If not, find another vendor.

              Powder coaters usually run clear coat several times a week. Just try to coordinate to drop your table off the same day as being clear coated. They need atleast two and usually 3 or 4 places to hang your table. Hopefully there are some areas they can tie with wire or hook with their hooks to hang the table. If not, you have to have some holes or temporarily weld some nuts to the underside that they can hang from and you can knock them off after coating.
              5x10 Bluco Fixture Table
              Cincinnati shear 10'x1/4"
              '11 Lincoln Power Mig 216
              '10 Syncro200 TIG runner
              Scotchman CPO 350 LT cold saw w/ AMS

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks guys. Clear powder was a thought for us. Looks like we will be going that route. Dave
                Originally posted by jimmy_pop View Post
                Clear powder coat is the only way to go, simply because spraying clear out of a gun will run on one or more of the hard corners and you can't get all areas like powder is able to. Brushing clear on is for beginners or pool fence builders ... dont do it. I do this for a living and clear powder coating is ideal.

                Just tell your vendor to not sand blast the table, just wipe it down before clearing. They should know this. Make sure their guys wear clean gloves when handling the table, not even touching it with their sweaty forearms while moving it around. Any bare skin contact will flash-rust overnight. Just be upfront with them that you need this to have special attention paid to it to lock in the surface finish you have created. They will accommodate you. If not, find another vendor.

                Powder coaters usually run clear coat several times a week. Just try to coordinate to drop your table off the same day as being clear coated. They need atleast two and usually 3 or 4 places to hang your table. Hopefully there are some areas they can tie with wire or hook with their hooks to hang the table. If not, you have to have some holes or temporarily weld some nuts to the underside that they can hang from and you can knock them off after coating.

                Comment

                Working...
                X