Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

old miller dynasty 200. found the problems, trouble finding the parts!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The topic I explain here has been used with VFD drives. The same kind of electronics
    exist in your welder. Look up what capacitor reforming does. People do it to repair
    capacitor components. I think in the welding world people don't know anything about it.
    Anyway, look it up. You might learn a little about your capacitors. I briefly looked up
    some on the digikey website, some cost close to $100 each.

Comment

Ask Cruizer.....

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      Have a feeling that the visible failures that you have observed are probably a result of another failure upstream...

If you could post your serial number... hopefully.."Cruizer" can give you more advice...

For many of the parts try these guys

http://miller4less.com/

after you have looked up the numbers in the Miller parts book.. found here..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php
      You might want to read this thread and others that are similar..

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...lown-capacitor

and again... hopefully Cruizer can give you some machine specific troubleshooting advice.... he speaks from experience...

would hate to see you wasting time and money by just replacing parts that appear visibly defective... while the root cause is elsewhere...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

i have soldered circuit boards before but to be honest i cannot get these capacitors off! i have a gas soldering gun…still, this is a pain. i will looking into more information when i have the time. usually when i get off work at 1030pm I'm not up to try anything with this board.

will check out that site and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by spriggan View Post
          i have soldered circuit boards before but to be honest i cannot get these capacitors off! i have a gas soldering gun…still, this is a pain. i will looking into more information when i have the time. usually when i get off work at 1030pm I'm not up to try anything with this board.

will check out that site and report back.
          Still concerned that you might be taking a dubious path in this repair effort..

BUT... as far as removing components like large caps..

you may need to resolder with a high quality 60/40 rosin core solder and "Solder-Wick" the joints a few times before it will draw out all of the solder from the joints... PC boards are easily damaged and overheating can lift the copper traces..

some prefer a "Solda-Pullit".... I think the Wick is gentler on the boards..

Have some real concerns about using a gas soldering iron for this process... a 100 Watt + sized electric iron would give you more control..

Have included a couple of "Solder-Wick" pics for those not familiar... it is available in several sizes.. the larger ones would be most favoured in this application..
          Attached Files
          Last edited by H80N; 06-08-2015, 08:05 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Bump from the dead, had the capacitors and 4 small resistors replaced by a company called psi, upon starting the welder their is a loud buzz from the resistors...any help?

Comment

Never heard of buzzing resistors. Seems like that would require some very high current, either pulsed or AC. Looks like you're going to need a miller service tech. Perhaps Cruizer will see this and have some words to help.

Comment

My guess, and this is probably wrong is that the Semikron Skiip module has failed. I have bought the caps to replace mine, and I have done all the pre checks.
                I could find nothing wrong with any components during those tests. At some point I may pursue this, but I have not had the time. My sincerest guess is that most older dynasty welders you will find for cheap may suffer from similar problems. Unless you have nothing to lose, I would tend to follow what Cruizer says. I did originally perform a repair on my welder that was preventing the foot control from working. Cruizer was very discouraging about any attempt to repair it. It worked out fine for me. But this is a little more expensive as the caps are $50-60 each and the semikron is ~$300. (thats more than I paid for the thing)

I suspect that the Semikron fails and passes AC into the board and the caps cant handle that. I'm just reluctant to spend any money on a 10-12 year old welder that was plagued with early design issues.
                Last edited by Irritantno9; 05-29-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X