replied
    Amen

fuzz8

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    The end!

Well guys:

I hate to be the ----, but here goes. There has been more than enough damage done to the forum morale and trust among more than a few members. I and some of you more than understand what is needed in terms of breaker types, wire sizes, feeder service, etc. However, there are people on this forum who have no formal electrical training or lifelong experience with electricity. I must say for the safety of all to consult your owners manual and an electrician when wiring your welding and cutting equipment. This combination should prove to be both effective and safe. Happy welding.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Gramps

Gramps

I come to this site daily in order to pick up good advise and ask questions worth askiing. I try to be brief.

Give it a break and stop running on, you are defeating the purpose dude.
    Don't mean to be rude, but PleasEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE..

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    If the Electricians name is sparky he's stay'n away from my electric panel. I wouldn't even let that guy use an extension cord.

An electrician being called sparky is like a race car driver named crash or a doctor called quack. It is not a compliment its not even nice. Most likely it would get ya a broken nose at least around here.

Generally speaking accuracy in what you say, and how you say it, is what you are judged on in this world. Peace to all

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    If the Electricians name is sparky he's stay'n away from my electric panel. I wouldn't even let that guy use an extension cord.

An electrician being called sparky is like a race car driver named crash or a doctor called quack. It is not a compliment its not even nice. Most likely it would get ya a broken nose at least around here.

Leave a comment:

• glockdoc
    replied
    Sparky is the guy that wants $50-$100 per hour.

Leave a comment:

• DIESELADAM
    replied
    Wow that would be a scary scenario. But I do see some flaws in it.

Let me elaborate.

For instance, I am in the process of upgrading the service to my house.
    It is currently on 100 amp service.

From the meter can I have the main breaker which has a 100 amp breaker inside it.

From the main breaker can it goes to my breaker panel which is rated at 125 amps.

The new service is going to be underground @200 amps.I have to install a 200 amp main breaker off of the new meter can. IT is then wired to my new breaker box inside the house which is rated at 225 amps.

Mind you I have already had load calculations done because I am also adding an addition to the house. The load calculations are required.

In order to melt the breaker box (distribution inside the house) I would probably have to pull a **** of alot more than 200 amps (the size of the breaker AFTER the meter can) (but before the breaker can inside) make sence?

So in theroy it is probably impossible to "pull" more from your breaker box INSIDE the house without tripping the main first.

Now, Let's throw a little twist to all of this !!!!!

Go ahead and open the breaker panel inside YOUR house.

Write down the ratings of all the breakers in the panel.

Then add em up !

AHHHHHHHHH We're all guunna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and who the heck is Sparky anyway?

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    GRAMPA PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grampa
    PLEASE!!!! havent you muddied the water enough with your ERRONIOUS folksy stuff!!!! The welder Wiring Safety Thread was started in Direct response to your DANGEROUS advice.... and when confronted..you twisted it around and then you acted like you had started the darned thing..... you may be trying to be helpful ... or you may just get your jollies from hearing yourself talk... i do not know which
    but... you sure scare the heck out of me...
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Bronco STD
    replied
    Thanks for the input.. I will check when I get home what the breaker says. It sounds like I have the correct one. I didn't specify to the parts man that I needed a time delay breaker. So I'm assuming he gave me the standard fast trip kind for about 10 bucks. If it were the time delay, then I bet that breaker would cost more?

Bronco STD

Leave a comment:

• Grampa
    replied
    I Started Something!!!

If I posted something up here and scared the **** out of everybody and now people are really paying attention to electrical safety and proper wiring then it is a good thing in my mind..

I know that my expertise and experience is in question here..But ya know I am a big boy and can take the heat..

Now I have yet to see anyone address panel loads..How about distance of wire runs? how it affects voltage drop?..what about service disconnects on your equipment..?? calculating panel loads? Proper securing of wires to boxes and studs? Do you really know all that sort of thing..If you are not sure about all this get Sparky over there..Heavens maybe you guys can trade out some work or something to tkae care of Sparky..

Guys it is real easy to pop in a breaker..pull some wire and install an outlet

Do you know all that stuff..Gotta know it to do it right..Just like you gotta know and practice your welding to do that right..

What is seen often in the field is that some guy reads all the manuals..gets the specified size of breaker..the correct wire according to the book..the right specified outlet and hooks up his welder..

Then he gets a plasma cutter..same deal..does it all correct according to the book..

Adds a large verticle compressor..same thing..reads his book..and does it that way..

Now we get some nice lighting..add some utility circuits for the grinders and drill motors..

Now to a lay person this shop looks real neat..everything nice and tidy all that..

All of this looks just fine..

Now it is winter..buds come over to help.They are doing some welding..compressor is going..some space heaters are in operation..and the wives are in making a meal..the washer and dryer is going..all the lites are on and the kids watching TV..

Now the panel is way overloaded..the service panel melts down and causes a fire..Fire Marshall shows up and writes up "Point of ignition the electrical panel"

The Insurance adjuster then shows up with a copy of the Fire Marshall's report..looks at the wiring setup and asks.."do you have copies of the permits and inspections on this wiring" .."Who did the work'? She is not about to pay an insurance claim on someone's bootleg wiring deal..No matter that it was all done according to "instructions and code"..In fact when she leaves your house she is on the way to the local building dept to pull the electrical permit records on the deal..to prove that this was some kind of bootleg deal..

Now you are standing there with mud on your face wondering how and where to get the money to fix your house...fighting with the Insurance company..

See one can "do it all right" and still get in a lot of trouble..!!!

So if you would like to cover yourself..Call Sparky the electrician..have him do it and if you do it your self..take a permit and let the inspector do his thing..

Nuff said on this one

Grampa

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Bronco STD
    if the 60amp breaker that you have installed is of the standard fast-trip variety... then you have the right one... the extra amperage above your "working" amperage needs is there to compensate for the starting or turn on surge when the transformer initially gets energized.. this is why it is sometimes called "inrush current" .... the 50amp that they specify is a time delay that compensates for that.... does that make sense... if not i will try to explain further..(the breaker types are marked on them in their model number.. if you have doubts.. will try and help decode them for you)
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Bronco STD
    replied
    So from the manual I should be running a 50amp instead of a 60amp breaker under 230v. I have a siemens breaker box, and what was currently just put in there is a 60 amp double pole breaker. The manual is a bit confusing since it refers to "time delay" and "normal operating". I think I'm making this harder then it is. I have not used the welder as of yet, since I wanted to make sure I have the correct breaker installed.

Thanks,

Bronco STD

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Guys
    the the Welder Wiring Safety thread was started because of the type of Generalized and usually somewhat scary advice that Grampa gave earlier in this thread... as a matter of fact... all of my what not to do examples were from his "ADVICE" .....(wish he would talk less and think more) the Miller manuals do specify the size and type of breaker as well as wire size....
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Dieseladam: you are correct but in the 50amp example it would need to be a compressor rated breaker since they start under load the use more then the rated for startup then taper to the rated usage AKA "slow blow breakers" the 60 amp would allow for the higher startup amperage. I hope this helps

Leave a comment:

Working...
X