Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting household electronics while welding

All,

It was recently recommended to me that I protect my household electronics (mainly computers, TV, etc) with some flavor of surge suppressors, specifically with regards to using a welder. I imagine it's a good idea to use surge suppressors on home electronics to protect from voltage spikes due to lightning or screw-ups with the power company, though I've never really bothered.

What do you think? Is there any good reason to add protection to home appliances while running a (in this case, MIG) welder plugged into home wiring?

Thank you!

Ryan

I have only heard of people getting interference due to high frequency in tig machines.

Comment

Mig welding is fine
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Does the hf part only apply to old style tig machines with the gaps and such? Or does it apply to the blue lightning type machines as well? Where Do the hf start max star machines fit into that?
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

When ever I use my Maxstar 150 for TIG in my garage/shop I get some interference on the FM stereo radio I have playing. When using my HH 210 there isn't a problem. Just my 2 cents worth........

Comment

If, in the future I do get a TIG with HF start and start running into interference, is it something that would actually be stopped by having the problematic device (TV, radio) on a surge suppressor? Or is that type of interference just going to pass through since it isn't really a surge?

Thanks!

Ryan

Comment

Surge suppressor

is that type of interference just going to pass through since it isn't really a surge?
              YES.

You should always have surge suppressors on all sensitive electronic equipment, but it has nothing to do with your welder.

The HF interference from a tig welder will NOT be blocked by a surge suppressor.

Comment

Cruizer has posted a few times on how to deal with stray hf. A little searching and you could find it.

Comment

Originally posted by elvis View Post
                  Does the hf part only apply to old style tig machines with the gaps and such? Or does it apply to the blue lightning type machines as well? Where Do the hf start max star machines fit into that?
                  All machines that use HF.
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
                    Cruizer has posted a few times on how to deal with stray hf. A little searching and you could find it.
                    I'm guessing here, but I'd say it has to do with how the machine is grounded, and I don't mean the work ground.
                    Richard
                    West coast of Florida

Comment

Start at the machine and tie wrap the work lead cable and torch cable together for the first foot or two. For tig. Sould help with your HF problems per Cruizer's instructions. Subject search should bring up the specifics.
                      sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
                      Millermatic 350P
                      30A Spoolgun
                      Lincoln Pro Mig 140
                      Hypertherm Powermax 30
                      14" Rage Evolution dry saw
                      40 ton press brake
                      Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

Cruizers Cure...

Originally posted by ja baudin View Post
                        Start at the machine and tie wrap the work lead cable and torch cable together for the first foot or two. For tig. Sould help with your HF problems per Cruizer's instructions. Subject search should bring up the specifics.
                        +1... Here is one of those threads...

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...light=zip+ties

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Manuals with Miller TIG machines have detailed instructions how to control interference from HF. I wasn't aware it caused damage, only nuisance interference with radio or TV reception.
                          Dynasty 280DX
                          Bobcat 250
                          MM252
                          Spool gun
                          Twentieth Century 295
                          Twentieth Century 295 AC
                          Marquette spot welder
                          Smith torches

Comment

Don't worry about this unless it is a real problem. All this surge suppression equipment is a poor bandaid blanket approach and about like an extended warranty on a 4# hammer. A real look at grounding electrodes and electrical ground pathways will be an actual return on effort.
                            The "surge suppressor" is touted by the suppressor people, not that it doesn't work on occasion but is a poor substitute for lightning strike pathway.
                            This is the only surge on a line. The rest is pretty much nonsense for our practical purpose.

Comment

I wasn't aware it caused damage, only nuisance interference with radio or TV reception.
                              Never seen damage happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X