Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody ever weld 1-1/2 sch 40 SMAW?

Hi everybody,
    This is my first actual post but I have been frequenting this site for years just lurking. I am welding some 1-1/2 sch 40 black pipe and am having a terrible time with the 7018 cap. I know there is a better way of doing it but this is it. I don't have any problems with the root and could weld it out with the 3/32 6010 no problem but when the 3/32 7018 comes out it just gets down right ugly. I could see rolling it out maybe but this is in position 5g, 6g and some 2g. I have been trying to run around 80-85 but it is just too much heat, super convex stringer, falling out around 3:30 and just flat out unacceptable. I have tried running towards the bottom of the 3/32 7018 weldable range which for excalibur is 70 amps dcep, but even than it is too hot and hard to handle. I think I should be using a smaller 7018 but I haven't really seen anything smaller than 3/32 for 7018. Any help would be awesome.

Anybody ever weld 1-1/2 sch 40 SMAW?

Did you try letting it completely cool down before running cap?
    If 70 amps is still to hot turn down till it is manageable and try. Those are just recommended settings and all welders are different. Some run hotter than others. The proof is in the bead

Comment

It's tough on 1 1/2'' even with 3/32. Only two pass it .

life can be easier with socket weld fittings. Depending on the situation we have received approval for the socket fittings and gotten paid for them too.

Comment

Originally posted by BD1 View Post
        It's tough on 1 1/2'' even with 3/32. Only two pass it .

life can be easier with socket weld fittings. Depending on the situation we have received approval for the socket fittings and gotten paid for them too.
        Socket weld fittings would be awesome right now.

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
          Did you try letting it completely cool down before running cap?
          If 70 amps is still to hot turn down till it is manageable and try. Those are just recommended settings and all welders are different. Some run hotter than others. The proof is in the bead
          Letting it cool helps, but 1/4 the way up the pipe it seems it's blazing hot already. Biggest problem with dropping the amperage that much is my starts are loaded with porosity, but once you get moving it's alright so long as I keep a close arc.

Comment

Originally posted by hituw2x4 View Post
            Letting it cool helps, but 1/4 the way up the pipe it seems it's blazing hot already. Biggest problem with dropping the amperage that much is my starts are loaded with porosity, but once you get moving it's alright so long as I keep a close arc.
            So...is the 6010 downhill followed by 7018 uphill? Kinda figured this is likely the case. The easist way i have found is to allow root pass to cool. Then start the weld at the bottom work up. Hold split second on the sides while moving fast allowing puddle to settle down work to about 1/3 up. Go to the other side do the samething after it had cooled. Then finish the top side last. Fyi 8010 downhill is the method the fitters do around hear. Root and cap.
            Kevin
            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
            Ln25
            Miller spectrum 625
            Miller 30a spoolgun
            Wc115a
            Lincoln 210mp
            F550 imt service truck

Comment

Anybody ever weld 1-1/2 sch 40 SMAW?

What type welder you using? Engine drive? Old or new style.

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
                What type welder you using? Engine drive? Old or new style.
                I was using a miller cst 280 on 7018 soft. I also tried with my xmt 350, invertec v350 but of the inverters I feel this cst 280 performed the best. On a whim I tried my old Airco (Miller m180 p painted yellow) that was given to me. Call me crazy but the Airco was the best of them all. I guess it all comes back to the "drooper" for stick welding? Being that I am still not satisfied with my performance, I have been practicing on 1-1/2" in my spare time. I had a spool piece left over which was shaped so that it made a trap if filled with water. Just for ****s and giggles to see how it would weld without becoming saturated with heat I filled it with water and welded a bunch of caps. What a difference, I was using my 300d and at one point was in 4 gear around 10-15 with a 3/32" 7018. I don't know how pertinent my experiment was but figured I would share it. And thanks for the feedback and tips.

Comment

Working...
                X