10/3 cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10/3 cord

I just purchased a millermatic 175..the 6 foot cord comming out of the machine is just not long enough to be practicle in my work space.I have about 80 feet of 10/3 cord with nema L6-20 (20A-250V)plugs and a couple extra ends of the same style that I use with my old craftsman 220 stick welder and compressor.(i rarely need to use this much cord)is this size cord ok to make up a smaller extension like say 20' or so for this new machine, or should i go buy the 70$ 25' cord with the same ends that come on the machine...thnx
    Question Authority

Whodathunkit!!!

mecharm1

I thought that this cable would have been too small but your manual says that you could run 20 meters of 14/3 ... the machine only draws 20amps... here is a link to the pdf of your manual.(see pg 20-21)

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1324d_mil.pdf

so looks like it is ok for the 135/175 but am surprised....
    hope this helps
    Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

10/3 cord

mecharm1,

10 ga. is good for 30 amps at the length you have. At full heat, the mm175 draws 19.5 amps according to the Miller catalog. You should have plenty of spare capacity.

Go for it. It's all good.

Be well.

Hankj
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

According to the old code book 10/3 should carry 40 amps at under 100' of distance from the main. You will be fine and happy welding. weld well, weld safe

Comment

thnx guys....ill be abel to make up a couple different sizes with the length i have ......
          Question Authority

Comment

Working...
          X