Dry Cut or Bandsaw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Cut or Bandsaw?

I have to cut a bunch of mitered 304ss 2x2 tubing soon. I am tired of using the old abrasive saw so I am looking for something that is more accurate and better in the long run. What do you guys recommend? I'd like to keep it around $4-500 for an operational saw. This not something that gets used every day. It would get used every month but only a few days a month.
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

How about one of those hand held portable band saws like the Milwaukee 6232-20 Deep Cut Band Saw, or the Porter Cable version? I've talked to several contractors that really like them!

Steve

Comment

I have a high quality dry cut bandsaw, The brand name is Ellis.

I have seen and used many others over the years but the Ellis is the biggest bang for the buck.

Hydmech is a better one but you will pay 3-4 times as much, you then have the low end Chinese ( Wilton )

The nice thing about the Ellis is its very fast and easy to do miter cuts, no tools required, it has a built in protractor and the table stays in position and its the head that pivots which is a plus.

I've had mine since about 1996 and its runs 5 days a week except for the days we are out on a job, I'm thinking about getting a new one and it will be a larger Ellis.

You may have guys tell you that you need a wet saw because they cut faster but they also leave coolant all over your part.

I myself am okay with a little slower cut so I dont have to weld through the coolant.

Comment

I've looked at the portoband and then using a swag off road bench stand to have a vertical bandsaw.
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

I have an extra dry cut saw. Give me a call if you are interested in one.

Comment

Andy, I'll call you in the morning. Thanks.
            MillerMatic 251
            Maxstar 150 STH
            Cutmaster 42
            Victor Journeyman OA

Comment

Working...
            X