Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it safe and an acceptable pratice to weld a passenger truck frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it safe and an acceptable pratice to weld a passenger truck frame?

A technician at a muffler shop cut into my frame twice to install a catalytic converter, I guess so he wouldn't have to go to the trouble of dropping it. Here is a link to some pictures http://chuckduck.smugmug.com/Muffler/ The pictures are from when I found the issue and the welds have since been completed. I have been told by body shops that using heat to repair a vehicle frame is not an acceptable practice and the vehicle is unsafe. Can anyone direct me to any regulation or some formal opinion or guideline that says welding the frame is or is not acceptable. Also I am in Texas is there a governmental organization that might inspect the vehicle and pass or fail it on safety?

If this is fixed up a little it will be fine but the peckerhead that did that should be sued. He probably ruins someones car daily.

Comment

Aside from being safe I would be tempted to call business bureau or a local 60 minutes type over that. I let a lot of stuff go but who ever is letting this peckerweed do this or endorse it should be in court under a class action suit. I a short career the guy could do millions in damages and just plain shouldn't be allowed to use or possess tools.

Comment

yea I would spread the word about that guy for sure no telling how many other car/trucks this guy has done that too.had a buddy that brung his truck in for a dual exhaust install along with a lift kit install to.you should have seen the welds that guy put on it. long story short his exhaust pipes ended up breaking at the connections and falling down. last I heard it was going to court . my buddy drove around with them sections of pipe in the back of his truck for a while. bad thing is he had to take it to another muffler shop to get redone. I was gonna do it but his lawler said it would be best to just take it to a well know company that does just mufflers.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckduck View Post
          A technician at a muffler shop cut into my frame twice to install a catalytic converter, I guess so he wouldn't have to go to the trouble of dropping it. Here is a link to some pictures http://chuckduck.smugmug.com/Muffler/ The pictures are from when I found the issue and the welds have since been completed. I have been told by body shops that using heat to repair a vehicle frame is not an acceptable practice and the vehicle is unsafe. Can anyone direct me to any regulation or some formal opinion or guideline that says welding the frame is or is not acceptable. Also I am in Texas is there a governmental organization that might inspect the vehicle and pass or fail it on safety?
          That is a SCARY... DANGEROUS... NASTY Looking Mess....

PLUS... those welds look like Bird POOP...

Not Safe.. NOT Acceptable...

That guy is a Menace...

At least take it to somebody who knows how to weld.. and have them try to repair the Damage.. Preferably an I-Car certified body shop

I saved and reposted the images... this is a textbook example of how some brain dead mortimer could get you killed..
          Attached Files
          Last edited by H80N; 05-04-2015, 10:15 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

i can only imagine how much of this goes on in the world on a daily basis. ouch. instant ruined vehicle

Comment

frame cutting and rewelding authorized by manufacturer?

Originally posted by Chuckduck View Post
              A technician at a muffler shop cut into my frame twice to install a catalytic converter, I guess so he wouldn't have to go to the trouble of dropping it. ........I have been told by body shops that using heat to repair a vehicle frame is not an acceptable practice and the vehicle is unsafe. Can anyone direct me to any regulation or some formal opinion or guideline that says welding the frame is or is not acceptable. Also I am in Texas is there a governmental organization that might inspect the vehicle and pass or fail it on safety?
              The final authority on slap happy cutting and welding into the vehicle frame is
              the manufacturer. Consult the relevant shop manual--and it will say no.

This guy owes you a car.
              Last edited by dave powelson; 05-04-2015, 01:19 PM.

Comment

You should ask the guy at the muffler shop when he would like to take delivery of his new vehicle.

Is it really junk, NO, However you need someone who knows what they are doing to do a proper repair.
                A plate needs to be put tight to the bottom and the welds need to run parallel to the frame and do long diamonds at the ends, you need to fully weld it so it is sealed so water cannot get in between the frame and the new plate, welds going across a frame are a no no.

I would say he owes you $ 500.00 for the repair and $ 1,000.00 for pain and suffering.

Comment

Vermont is a legal murder state. The legal system, and legislature are overrun with an invasive species; trust fund transplants. They take liberal politics to a level never imagined before. No one is ever guilty of any major crime. They did it in self defense, poverty made them do it, prison will only make them worse, capital punishment is evil. No one is ever convicted of murder.

Texas on the other hand, has a different approach. Kill someone for the public good, they pin a medal on you. This guy needs to die! Odds are he's already committed manslaughter! Maybe the legal system will even do it for you.
                  Dynasty 280DX
                  Bobcat 250
                  MM252
                  Spool gun
                  Twentieth Century 295
                  Twentieth Century 295 AC
                  Marquette spot welder
                  Smith torches

Comment

Out of curiosity...

What brand..?? Year and Model of truck was this..??...

That "technician?" caused some very serious permanent damage..

no matter how well the repair work is done... it will always bear the scars...

when time comes to sell it.. if they put it on a lift for inspection... they will probably assume it had been wrecked... then value it accordingly..

I am at a total loss as to understand what brand of pretzel logic motivated the guy to play can opener and vandalize the structure of your truck..
                    Last edited by H80N; 05-04-2015, 06:38 PM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 200

Comment

Framed

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                      You should ask the guy at the muffler shop when he would like to take delivery of his new vehicle.

Is it really junk, NO, However you need someone who knows what they are doing to do a proper repair.
                      A plate needs to be put tight to the bottom and the welds need to run parallel to the frame and do long diamonds at the ends, you need to fully weld it so it is sealed so water cannot get in between the frame and the new plate, welds going across a frame are a no no.

I would say he owes you $ 500.00 for the repair and $ 1,000.00 for pain and suffering.
                      It can be fixed. But I agree with other posters these welds look like poop. I would take it to a body shop that is capable of and or specializes in frame repair. I would file a lawsuit in small claims court and contact the NTSB and BBB and report them to both agencies. That type of crap could lead to a catastrophic frame failure and or accident.

Comment

I once owned a 68 Jaguar E Type roadster. At very high speed it would go into a wobble. Investigating, I discovered someone had cut the transmission tunnel, lengthwise about two feet, then three cuts to floor level on each side. It took much needed strength from the car.

There are idiots, and those who just don't care all around us!
                        Dynasty 280DX
                        Bobcat 250
                        MM252
                        Spool gun
                        Twentieth Century 295
                        Twentieth Century 295 AC
                        Marquette spot welder
                        Smith torches

Comment

There are two separate issues here, the cuts, and the repair.

Why the cuts were made at all is as baffling to me as to the rest here, and the fellow who did this work should get immediate scrutiny from the authorities.

The repair work, which you tell us has since been "completed," is visibly a very poor job of it. Did you do it? I believe it is this is the reason the car companies as well as state departments of transportation tell us never to weld on frames. It's not that frames could not sometimes be welded safely, as Portable Welder explained, but not every amateur, however well-intentioned, who can (sort of) run a bead can do this correctly. The "repair" welding you photographed is all wrong. Possibly it could be saved by a professional who would prep the joint better, make good welds, and then add backing plates (maybe welded, maybe bolted) to spread the loading over a large area and away from the repair, where stresses will focus due to the disuniformity of the material in the heat-affected zone of the welds.

If the photographed welds were yours, please, sign up for a two-night-a-week "Welding Brush-Up" class at your local technical college. You can enter any time during the quarter. Welding is a lot more satisfying (and safer) the more you know what you're doing. You won't learn how to judge this sort of problem, or how to weld it, by watching all those free YouTube welding videos, not even close.

Comment

I certainly would'nt want a body shop to weld it, Its not so much about the welding as it is about how to shape the repair plate.

A heavy equipment guy would know what I mean about a long diamond shape plate because we repair excavator booms, There should be no corners on this repair plate.

If the depth of the frame is 6", each side of the diamond should extend 2 to 2-1/2 times farther than the depth.

So a 6" tall frame should have a diamond shape patch that is 12" - 18" over all length.

Your local high end welding shop would be your best bet especially if they work on a lot of heavy equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
                              I certainly would'nt want a body shop to weld it, Its not so much about the welding as it is about how to shape the repair plate.

A heavy equipment guy would know what I mean about a long diamond shape plate because we repair excavator booms, There should be no corners on this repair plate.

If the depth of the frame is 6", each side of the diamond should extend 2 to 2-1/2 times farther than the depth.

So a 6" tall frame should have a diamond shape patch that is 12" - 18" over all length.

Your local high end welding shop would be your best bet especially if they work on a lot of heavy equipment.
                              PW
                              I was thinking an ICAR certified shop because they would understand what a manufacturer compliant spec repair entailed... while you and many of the rest of us here could perform a competent repair... maybe a portion of this involves the liability entailed in dealing with it... I sure would not want that liability following me home... justly or unjustly in today's litigious society...

here is the link to ICAR

https://i-car.com/

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X