Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MrXtreme
    replied
    I also purchased a Big Window Elite after reading Hawks's review (so how many has Hawk sold at this point?). An excellent piece of equipment!

But as Shrock said that auto-off is sometimes a pain since I'm just a hobbiest welder and weld/cut/think/re-cut/weld. Sometimes the helmet turns off before the next weld. I was flashed once because of this. Now I make sure I press the "on" button before I strike an arc, if I'm not welding continuously.

X

Leave a comment:

• Shrock
    Guest replied
    I bought one of these a couple months ago, and I love it too. Great clarity and seems nearly impossible to get flashed welding in odd positions.

Only gripe...the **** auto off feature.

Leave a comment:

• 1320Fabrication
    replied
    For anyone who has or used a Speedglas 9000X how does the Big Window Elite compare functionally? I have a 9000X which I really like....but I think the Miller helmets look loads better. jimg
    I just made a post regarding the new Miller Elite helmet. I bought mine to replace a Speedglas 9000X. (As a note Hornell was bought by 3M and they are coming out with a new 9002X helmet)

I had a 9002X on order, but when I read about the Miller Elite I canceled the order the order for the 9002X, and am I ever glad I did. The main reason I purchased the Miller Elite was becuase of the advertised "4 independant sensors". I couldn't get a clear answer from Hornell on how the sensors where set up except that the 9002X was a replacement for the 9000Xi, which is a lower amp inverter type helmet.

What I like better about the Miller Elite over the 9000X:

clarity- I can simply see better even at darker settings.
    4 independant sensors- havn't been flashed yet welding in cars.
    better quality, and fitting head gear.
    awsome, patriotic stars and strips paint shceme.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    moe1942,

Congratulations on the new Big Window Elite! I think you will really like it. If you don't, let me know why. It and the Optrel Satellite are my favorite hoods. I think the Elite actually edges out the Satellite just a bit. It is hard to say why. You just have to use one to see why they are such a good hood.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Big winow elite

Hawk,

Thanks for a great thread on the Big Window Elite. Have read all the responses twice.

After cranking up my MM175 for the first time yesterday I quit in disgust after a few minutes. Cheap auto helmet. Couldn't see squat.

The good news is I have expert testimony from people like you to guide me. I just purchased a Big Window Elite from BR welder. $218 with free helmet bag and free shipping. If it is half as good as you describe I will be a happy camper.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    thehat,

I am glad you like the hood. I keep both the Elite and the Optrel Satellite close at hand. My Kemper just colects dust. My old stand by is just that and I hope I don't need it (old jackson flip lens with a #10 gold).

Leave a comment:

• thehat
    replied
    Big Window Elite

Hawk, Just picked mine up last nite and it is by far the best thing I've played with.Been using a 4x5 for almost 40 years and could never get comfortable with the small window.Do alot of tacking and have the bad habit of just closing my eyes and getting a sunburn on one side,this sould stop that.Also don't have the deads spot in out of position.Just joined the group and it looks like alot of talent here.

Leave a comment:

• prostreetboy
    replied
    I received an email from the local Uvex rep this morning...he must read this forum :-)

He seems more than willing to help out, I'm hoping to upgrade to the satellite given how much everyone seems to like it.

D

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    prostreetboy,

I have no experience with the Twisty. From the pictures and description I can assure you the Satellite is a totally different unit! It seems that at less than 2 years the warranty should be effective. I do not doubt your lack of customer service from UVEX, but they are usually not that way. I believe I'd check the website and start calling some more people.

Leave a comment:

• prostreetboy
    replied
    Hawk,

It looks like you've had great luck with your Optrel Satellite. I was wondering if you've had any experience with the Optrel Twisty. It's one of the helmets I've had for the last 1.5 years or so and if it sits in a shady place (e.g. my garage) or if I try to work at night, it won't auto dark and I get flashed routinely. It's to the point where I have to slide the switch from the 10-11 setting to the 11-12 setting to see if it goes temporarily dark, this generally means that it's good to go, at least for a short time.

I assumed that the welding arc would power the shade, but this does not seem to be the case. I've written multiple emails to Uvex and contacted the local rep...zero response. Now, I just use a big window Huntsman unless the sun is shining and I can leave the helmet outside for about 1/2 hour or so.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    cope,

I am glad you like the Jackson NexGen helmet. I am sure it is a good product. I am partial to the Miller Big Window Elite and the Optrel Satellite. On some jobs I stay under hood for hours at a time and prefer the most comfortable user friendly electronic hood I can find.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by HAWK
    pjseaman,

I have owned 2 Jackson helmets. I still have my original 2"x4" flip lens Jackson. I also had a 9-13 variable shade EQC hood. The EQC Journeyman was bad to flash and the lens quality was poor. It had real light areas on the outer fringes and was hard to look through unless looking straight on. One day the lens failed. It had a small dark rectangle in the middle that grew larger until no arc was visible. It was out of warranty and would cost $75 plus freight to exchange for a remanufactured lens. I declined and gave it to a friend who was willing to pay for the exchange.
    Hawk, as you know, I don't weld for a living. That said, my Journeyman EQC is 5 years old and still going strong. The only complaints I have are the inaccessibility of the shade control and the small lens. Not a problem for stick but I like a larger lens for Mig. My new NexGen solved all my problems with the Journeyman.

Leave a comment:

• jimg
    replied
    For anyone who has or used a Speedglas 9000X how does the Big Window Elite compare functionally? I have a 9000X which I really like....but I think the Miller helmets look loads better. jimg

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    That would be right! 4 eyes are better than 2!

A-

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Well, it sounds like the Elite is light years apart in peformance from the other Miller helmets. I guess that is one more reason to pay a little more for the Elite and get the four (4) independant sensors if you will be doing much tig work on lower amperage settings. I don't know how the new 2 sensors helmets compare because I have not tried them. My guess is they are good, but not as responsive to low level tig and inverter arcs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X