Miller Helmet: Big Window Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hoods and stuff

Hawk if it is not broke don't fix it..Grinn..yes I can see where the new stuff is just great and is very helpful..I am going to look into a new hood and the comments from people such as yourself who have been there done that is very helpful..

After all we can do what we do using 30 year old technology but why..?? If one needs it then get the new stuff..

Thanks
    Grampa
    Grampa has done so much with so little now I do everything with nothing..;>)

Comment

Grampa: that is always good advise, when you jump into the Dynasty get the e- hood for the adjustability or on low amperage tig you wont be able to see where you are going.

Hawk: does this new Big Window Elite also have the grinding setting for clear view? This is the only thing I wish my 9000x had!

Comment

pjseaman,

There is not a separate grind setting. I just turned the sensitivity down and went to grinding. It did not go dark on me. It does not have an off button. The on button goes on and stays on until auto off turns it off after 15 -20 minutes of non activity. It seems like Miller covered the bases without making things too complicated. At about midway on the sensitivity the helmet works great for Stick, mig, and carbon arc gouging, and grinding. On tig there is a quick set up for the proper sensitivity setting

The Optrel Satellitte does have a separate grind setting, but its controls are outside.

Comment

Hawk: Thanks again for the time being I'll stay where I am and use the clear shield and change back and forth with the 9000x. Maybe in a few years I'll jump to the next technology- whatever that will be! Thanks

Paul

Comment

Thanks Hawk for trying our new Elite hood. As for magnifiers, YES the hood had built in clips for the mag lenses which allows the lens to be slid up or down to the operator's preference. A hint on installing the mag...

Take the whole lens assy out of the hood and slide the magnifier in and then reinstall the unit. Some people force the mag lens in from the back side and have broken the clips. It seems like the clips bend easier if it is not in the hood.

NEWS FLASH.... .. ..... ....

The older generation helmets are getting the new technology as well. They will only have 3 sensors and ONE battery instead of 2 batteries that the Elite has. This will reduce arc time to about 2000 hrs and with the 3 sensors instead of 4 might not be as good on low end TIG. But at least they will be better than they were. These upgrades are already in stock so if ordering one of the other style hoods, make sure your dealer has NEW stock. The easy way to tell new stock from old is the new ones have 3 sensors (2 on top 1 on bottom) and the old ones only had 2 total.

Have fun.

Andy

Comment

Where online can we get more info on this helmet? I looked on the Miller main site and didn't see any new helmets.

Comment

Hawk is the closest thing to new info on this piece of hardware. It is still too new for there to be much buzz yet.

Comment

They are working on updating the site to reflect the new helmet. It's so new that the release was done in regions instead of across the whole US. Now that it is in full roll out, you should see info soon.

Andy

Comment

There is a release page for the Big Window Elite on the Miller site located here:
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/about/new...articles74.php

Comment

The press release seems to indicate that the lower end helmets will maintain 2 sensors. Andy indicated that they would have 3. What is the deal?

RWG

Comment

You are right!
                        It's back to two. The original info I got said 3 but I just checked one of the updated ones I have in stock here and it's back to two.

Sorry. Even I can mess up once in awhile

Andy

Comment

Well, it sounds like the Elite is light years apart in peformance from the other Miller helmets. I guess that is one more reason to pay a little more for the Elite and get the four (4) independant sensors if you will be doing much tig work on lower amperage settings. I don't know how the new 2 sensors helmets compare because I have not tried them. My guess is they are good, but not as responsive to low level tig and inverter arcs.

Comment

That would be right! 4 eyes are better than 2!

A-

Comment

For anyone who has or used a Speedglas 9000X how does the Big Window Elite compare functionally? I have a 9000X which I really like....but I think the Miller helmets look loads better. jimg

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
                                pjseaman,

I have owned 2 Jackson helmets. I still have my original 2"x4" flip lens Jackson. I also had a 9-13 variable shade EQC hood. The EQC Journeyman was bad to flash and the lens quality was poor. It had real light areas on the outer fringes and was hard to look through unless looking straight on. One day the lens failed. It had a small dark rectangle in the middle that grew larger until no arc was visible. It was out of warranty and would cost $75 plus freight to exchange for a remanufactured lens. I declined and gave it to a friend who was willing to pay for the exchange.
                                Hawk, as you know, I don't weld for a living. That said, my Journeyman EQC is 5 years old and still going strong. The only complaints I have are the inaccessibility of the shade control and the small lens. Not a problem for stick but I like a larger lens for Mig. My new NexGen solved all my problems with the Journeyman.

Comment

Working...
                                X