Thick Aluminum - 240 volts - Portable equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick Aluminum - 240 volts - Portable equipment

I own a 35 foot sailboat. I wish to travel abroad carrying my own welding equipment. The boat is made of 1/4 inch thick, 5086 aluminum plates. I have work to do on the boat prior to leaving. The maximum voltage available to me is 230 volts at 60 hertz. Abroad, it would be 220 volts, 50 hertz.I consider purchasing a Millermatic 211 with a spool gun.I am aware of penetration issues for this plate thickness, but I am told proper joints selection preparation and pre-heating would compensate. Is that really so? The Miller chart shows only 4043 feed wire while I would need 5356. Why is that? Their calculator do not recommend globular welding, only spray in flat position(!) at welding voltage in excess of the machine capabilities...Did you ever try welding 1/4 inch 5086 aluminum plates with a Millermatic 211? What settings did you use? How was it?Would you recommend that acquisition for my application?Thanks!

I think you will be okay welding 1/4" with preheat, However, I only have the big spool gun that I run off a few different machine and 1/2" plate is not a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Doupirate View Post
      I own a 35 foot sailboat. I wish to travel abroad carrying my own welding equipment. The boat is made of 1/4 inch thick, 5086 aluminum plates. I have work to do on the boat prior to leaving. The maximum voltage available to me is 230 volts at 60 hertz. Abroad, it would be 220 volts, 50 hertz.I consider purchasing a Millermatic 211 with a spool gun.I am aware of penetration issues for this plate thickness, but I am told proper joints selection preparation and pre-heating would compensate. Is that really so? The Miller chart shows only 4043 feed wire while I would need 5356. Why is that? Their calculator do not recommend globular welding, only spray in flat position(!) at welding voltage in excess of the machine capabilities...Did you ever try welding 1/4 inch 5086 aluminum plates with a Millermatic 211? What settings did you use? How was it?Would you recommend that acquisition for my application?Thanks!
      Don't you have a pair of 8D Batteries onboard....??

in series they make a beautiful 24VDC CV supply... all you need to do is hook up a spoolgun..

way more horsepower than a MM211

Biggest problem might be carrying and refilling your Argon bottle..
      Last edited by H80N; 04-27-2015, 08:19 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

The MM211 won't run the 5 series wire. Cross that one off yer list.
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

No 5 series wire

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
          The MM211 won't run the 5 series wire. Cross that one off yer list.
          Why do you day that Ed ?

Norm
          www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
          X