Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited a late 80s Syncrowave 250

Hello everyone,

I have acquired a very lightly used Synchrowave 250 and need some advice. I have done very little welding in my life, but I'm looking to change that. The Miller I have was probably purchased in the very late 80s. It has less than 100 hours of use. There is barely a dent or scratch on the entire unit itself. It is just dusty and has some cobwebs. I have everything it came with. No recirculating cooler.

I want to get into TIG welding, but my experience is about as old as this welder. Even then, I was being told exactly what to do. They are no longer available to help me. I am very mechanically inclined and learn things relatively quickly on my own. I own a cabinet shop so I will have to push the welder outside every time I want to use it. The current welder has no way of doing that, plus I have to hook it up to a water source. Since I will be welding for "fun", I can't see myself making the effort just to learn. I honestly can't make heads or tails of all the dials on there, and feel this welder is way over my head.

My question is, should I keep this welder and have it serviced? OR should I trade it in for something like at Diversion 180. I can always buy a comprable new welder if I have the need. That said, what would be a fair offer for my welder, if I chose to trade it in? The stock number on the front is 903056-01-2

Thank you in advance for any direction you can give me!

Those are excellent machines - just make a wheeled cart for it and you're all set

You don't have to use a water cooled torch - you can switch to an air cooled one and eliminate some of the complexity for you.
    "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 Heliwelder
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    ESAB 161
    Invertec v250 and v300 Pro
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210
    Miller HF-15-1
    Dirty ugly tools - perfect

Comment

If you want a correct date, a serial# would be required

Comment

Hang on to that Sync 250... as said it is an excellent machine...

could you tell us what came with it and post some pics..??

also if you plug in your serial number you can download the correct manual here..

http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Also if you post that serial number as Cruizer suggested he could tell you it's birthday..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I have a nice Sync 250 from 1992 (serial KC310xxx). I paid $850. for it a few years ago, bare-bones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Syncrowave Dialarc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	518968

P.S. My son got the slightly used cooler from Sutton-Garten. It's a Coolmate 3 but in a white case and badged as "Stat Cooler" (some outfit that made stuff for the pharmaceutical industry, I believe.) Was right around $300. delivered.
          Last edited by USMCPOP; 04-24-2015, 12:03 PM.
          Miller stuff:
          Dialarc 250 (1974)
          Syncrowave 250 (1992)
          Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
            If you want a correct date, a serial# would be required
            SN- KA782610

Thank you all for the feedback! I am taking it in this week to have it serviced. I will let you know how it checks out and what I plan to do.

Comment

Working...
            X