AEA200LE no arc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moe
    we are having fun and figuring out a few things ....glad to at least give it a game try..
    email me at [email protected]
    am quite curious to see how that rectifier ohms out.. if bad it can be replaced with a silicon one and a heatsink....
    on that voltage drop that you observed... you said a governor spring might fix that.. is it pulling the engine down under load.. or just not coming up to speed?
    thanks
    Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

No arc

H80N.

The governor isn't responding to the load. I meant to replace the gov spring during the rebuild but got side tracked. With the right spring it will maintain governed RPM.

Glad to hear you find this challenging fun. Was afraid newbie jumped in and was making a pest of himself. I am certainly learning.

I will check the rectifier tomorrow and report back to you.

Thanks

moe1942

Comment

Moe
        this may sound simplistic.. but that governor spring May be the root of your entire problem... may try to have an assistant work the throttle while you try to strike an arc... or temporarily replace the spring with a known good one off the other machine (a better option) and see how it behaves... it is quite possible that we were barking up the wrong tree...
        let me know
        thanks
        Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Moe, give me a call at 920-831-4851. I should be able to walk you thru this fix pretty quickly. Do you have access to a load bank? It would really help. What is the name of the distributor you are dealing with. I may be able to work something out so you can bring the machine in and load it down for a minimal charge?

Comment

assume you checked...

your post mentioned you checked
            the voltage. how about the current?

also, is your machine heating
            up anywhere unusual which might
            show a short? if you have a IRtemp
            gun, you could check the unit while
            in use. assume it is making the correct
            engine and gen speed.

are all the leads-cables the correct type
            and gauge?

Comment

No arc

Pensive,

Since I stated my problem It has mysteriously corrected itself. I don't know what I did to make it start functioning other than removing and installing connections for troubleshooting. I have welded with it so I know it is working. For AC it sure is sweet. If I didn't know better I would swear that it is DC.

Thanks for your input. I know this is an antique and really didn't expect as much help as I got, including Scott from Miller.

moe1942

Comment

I didn't see it in the previous posts or I might have missed it but I worked on some 70's miller portables and they have a 12V exciter wire that if I remember correctly ran to the + side of the coil and was energized with the ignition.

Comment

Working...
                X