• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H80N
    replied
    Spark Test

Paul
    you might consider doing a grinder spark test to see what they are really made of.. and then go from there.. here is a pretty good link

http://www.prest-o-lite.com/EUWeb/OX...589oxy24_4.htm

this is the begining.. following pages have the diagrams
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Paul
    for what it is worth.. a lot of those high stress suspension parts were actually steel forgings.that were not very well finished and could easily be mistaken for castings... but in the event that they are cast iron.. I would go with a high nickel rod.. but will freely admit that I do not do much iron... Hawk will have a better handle on it...
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• KS2K
    replied
    H80N

Thanks for your offer, however this is a 1943 Dodge Carryall that has been totally reconstructed over 2 years. Last year I spent the entire winter hand fabricating new body panels inner and outter. The old 6cyl flat head has been replaced with a Cummins 4BTA Diesel with a NV-4500 Tranny married to a NP-205 T case. Power Steering and power disk brakes and tons more. BUT, no sheetmetal was cut anywhere.
    It could be reverted back to original quickly. Thus I want the modern shocks.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Paul
    this may not be an approach that you are interested in.. but in recent years there are quite a few folks out there rebuilding the old knee action shocks... if you give me the make... model.. and tonnage of the truck.. I will see what i can find... in good working order they work pretty well... just a thought
    hope this helps
    Heiti

Leave a comment:

• KS2K
    started a topic Welding to Cast

Welding to Cast

I have a 1943 truck that had the old knee action shock absorbers. I want to change to tublar oil filled. I will need to modify the lower shock bracket, which is a casting. This casting is also the bottom plate for the Axle U Bolts. How can I weld some steel brackets to the cast without causing Hydrogen Embrittlement ? Can I Mig weld it or go stick with a High COntent Nickle Rod.

Thanks
    Paul
Working...
X