Using generator to run a synchrowave 180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using generator to run a synchrowave 180

My welding projects are limited to about 15 feet from my household plug. I don't want to buy hundreds of feet of cable.Can I run my 15 year old Synchrowave 180 (Tig, stick) by plugging it into a generator?Since it is plugged into a 50 amp house circuit at 240 volts, I assume a 10k generator would be big enough (I don't ever use it at its full amperage).Will a generator put out an acceptable voltage and current profile (sine wave) for the electronics, etc, that the welder requires?Thank you!

Buy a cord.

Comment

I agree with sberry, if it's within 50-100' of the outlet make an extension cord

Comment

Even though a 10,000watt generator seems big enough, it actually is too small for a machine like the Synch 180 (along with most transformer machines) even when you set the Synch on a lower setting.

They require way more power at low settings and the genset can't handle the inrush of current.

Your house/shop power is a wee bit different in that it is supported by the massive turbine at the power company. The 10k genset has a tiny little motor.
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Working...