Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma cutter purchase things to consider??? Looking to buy the Spectrum® 375 X-TREME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kevin 123
    replied
    Plasma cutter purchase things to consider??? Looking to buy the Spectrum® 375 X-TREME

I'm getting ready to buy a plasma cutter I was going to buy the 875 miller spectrum but I keep reading that hypertherm r better little more expensive but sounds like it's worth it

Leave a comment:

• ja baudin
    replied
    I really like my Powermax 30. Never had any issues with it and is very portable. I went back and forth for a while trying to decide if I wanted the 45 or 30. It cuts everything I ever needed it to cut. I place a fence on my material and just drag the torch, very easy and CLEAN! You cant go wrong.

Mine came with an external filter/separator.

ja
    Last edited by ja baudin; 04-15-2015, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jimcolt
    replied
    Arizona Joe,

I don't spend much time on this forum, however your question that was posted directly to Hypertherm was forwarded to me...so here is my response!

The Powermax30XP does have a preset internal regulator integrated to a coalescing filter and an auto drain. If you see a small puddle of water under your machine, then it has separated some moisture from your air system and drained it out the bottom of the power supply. The input pressure specs on this system are for 80 to 100 psi. The internal single stage regulator controls this 20 psi range down to the correct cutting pressure of 68psi for longest consumable life and best cut quality with either set of consumables (the 30 amp shielded or the Finecut, non shielded). Basically its function is to minimize the air pressure fluctuation that occurs as air systems cycle.

Most compressors cycle between 90 psi and 130 psi. This should be regulated to the required input of 80 to 100 psi. If you allow your full compressor pressure....the range will cause more fluctuation to the consumables...resulting in less than normal life.

In a nutshell, yes there is an internal regulator in the 30XP (and a moisture removal system), and yes, you should regulate the input pressure to 80 to 100 psi.

I might add, in my home shop is a Bobcat 225G, and an old Millermatic250 mig. Quite a few grey Powermax units for hand and cnc cutting as well!

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Originally posted by Arizona Joe View Post
    If I can leave my compressor at its usual 130 psi cutoff and get rid of the external regulator and filter I'm using, that would be splendid.

Btw, I got an automatic response from Hypertherm on my question of whether I need a regulator or not. I'll post their response when I get it.

The school where I am taking welding classes is entirely Blue. The instructor has a Miller front license plate and, I heard, even has a Miller tattoo on his upper arm. The only thing that's not Blue is the Hypertherm 85 for the plasma table.
    Last edited by jimcolt; 04-15-2015, 10:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    My best welders are BLUE (Miller)... my best plasma is SILVER (Hypertherm)

Need I say more..??

Last edited by H80N; 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Arizona Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Heck... it is a better machine than you thought...

with an air regulator you didn't think you had,,

that should not be too hard to take...

BTW.. I have had a PM1000 for several years now and could not be happier...
    If I can leave my compressor at its usual 130 psi cutoff and get rid of the external regulator and filter I'm using, that would be splendid.

Btw, I got an automatic response from Hypertherm on my question of whether I need a regulator or not. I'll post their response when I get it.

The school where I am taking welding classes is entirely Blue. The instructor has a Miller front license plate and, I heard, even has a Miller tattoo on his upper arm. The only thing that's not Blue is the Hypertherm 85 for the plasma table.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    While I see it and read it, nevertheless I am not convinced. I wrote a long response explaining why, but it got lost after my login timed out. Rather than repeat everything, I will repeat that I ended by saying I would send an email to Hypertherm and report their response.

Thanks for the research guys.
    Heck... it is a better machine than you thought...

with an air regulator you didn't think you had,,

that should not be too hard to take...

BTW.. I have had a PM1000 for several years now and could not be happier...
    Last edited by H80N; 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Arizona Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by H80N View Post
    Stand by to be corrected yet again...

See Page 121 of the 30XP Service Manual

Section 6 – Power Supply Component Replacement

Figure 57 Item 1..... Air Filter/Regulator

ALSO Page 143...144

AIR FILTER/REGULATOR Replacement...

While I see it and read it, nevertheless I am not convinced. I wrote a long response explaining why, but it got lost after my login timed out. Rather than repeat everything, I will repeat that I ended by saying I would send an email to Hypertherm and report their response.

Thanks for the research guys.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Combination Filter/Regulator

OK. I stand corrected, it does have a built in filter, but it does not have a built in regulator, at least the way I read it. The quote below is from p 27 of the owners manual. Hence, I use an external regulator and filter.

"The gas supply can be shop-compressed or cylinder-compressed. You must use a high-pressure regulator on either type
    of supply, and the regulator must deliver gas to the filter on the power supply at 99.1 l/min at 4.7 bar (3.5 scfm at 68 psi).
    To ensure adequate pressure to the power supply, set the regulator between 5.5 and 6.9 bar (80 and 100 psi).
    The system contains an internal filter element, but additional filtration may be required depending on the quality of the gas
    supply. If gas supply quality is poor, cut speeds decrease, cut quality deteriorates, cutting thickness capability decreases,
    and the life of the consumables shortens. For optimal performance, the gas should have a maximum:"
    Stand by to be corrected yet again...

See Page 121 of the 30XP Service Manual

Section 6 – Power Supply Component Replacement

Figure 57 Item 1..... Air Filter/Regulator

ALSO Page 143...144

AIR FILTER/REGULATOR Replacement...
    Last edited by H80N; 04-13-2015, 11:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Arizona Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Yes.Look at page 66 & page 50 of the operators manual available on the Hypertherm web site.

http://www.hypertherm.com/en-us/Service/Manuals/

OK. I stand corrected, it does have a built in filter, but it does not have a built in regulator, at least the way I read it. The quote below is from p 27 of the owners manual. Hence, I use an external regulator and filter.

"The gas supply can be shop-compressed or cylinder-compressed. You must use a high-pressure regulator on either type
    of supply, and the regulator must deliver gas to the filter on the power supply at 99.1 l/min at 4.7 bar (3.5 scfm at 68 psi).
    To ensure adequate pressure to the power supply, set the regulator between 5.5 and 6.9 bar (80 and 100 psi).
    The system contains an internal filter element, but additional filtration may be required depending on the quality of the gas
    supply. If gas supply quality is poor, cut speeds decrease, cut quality deteriorates, cutting thickness capability decreases,
    and the life of the consumables shortens. For optimal performance, the gas should have a maximum:"

Leave a comment:

• Meltedmetal
    replied
    OK. So does the 30XP have a moisture trap and regulator inside?

Yes.Look at page 66 & page 50 of the operators manual available on the Hypertherm web site.

http://www.hypertherm.com/en-us/Service/Manuals/
    Last edited by Meltedmetal; 04-13-2015, 04:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Arizona Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by kize View Post
    I don't believe my post was referring to the 375.
    OK. So does the 30XP have a moisture trap and regulator inside?

Leave a comment:

• kize
    replied
    From the 375 description on this site:
    Automatic Air Regulation

The unit automatically compensates for input pressure variation to provide constant recommended torch pressure for optimum cutting performance.

As for the filter, see OM-253 555 page 26
    I don't believe my post was referring to the 375.

Leave a comment:

• Arizona Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by kize View Post
    You sure about not having a reg and moisture trap on power max 30 xp ? The downloaded service manual shows one inside on the left side of machine ( facing the front). Supposedly under the units cover. Looks like a auto drain type from the picture.
    From the 375 description on this site:
    Automatic Air Regulation

The unit automatically compensates for input pressure variation to provide constant recommended torch pressure for optimum cutting performance.

As for the filter, see OM-253 555 page 26

Leave a comment:

• Aeronca41
    replied
    Dry Air for Plasma Cutting

Link below to an article by Hypertherm's Jim Colt has some great info. I added a Motorguard coalescing filter to my air line just before it enters my PM45. Works great.

http://www.achrnews.com/blogs/16-gue...plasma-cutting

Leave a comment:

• kize
    replied
    Well, I too was considering the Spectrum 375 but bought an Powermax 30XP.
    The 375 has a built in regulator and moisture trap. The 30XP does not.
    While you can drag cut with both machines, you don't need to change to the drag tip with the 30XP. You get two tips: one for regular cutting and one for fine cutting.

The Miller and Hypertherm kits look suspiciously similar and are close in price. But the drag feature of the Hypertherm is what tipped the scale in their favor as shown in Jay Leno's garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4grP8O-1Beo

The 30XP is more than adequate for what I do. Besides, I don't have enough air for larger machines. So far I've cut 16 ga steel, zinc, and copper sheet. I used a 3/4" piece of common pine clamped to the work as a straight edge. (Of course I would've used a steel bar if I had one.) I also cut some small, rough, 5/8" diameter holes in sheet metal. I cut holes in a pieces of blue painters tape that I used as a guide and did it by hand as I picked up from Jody.

In summary, while I have absolutely no experience with plasma cutters, I am nevertheless very pleased with my XP30. Is it worth the money? IMHO, yes.
    You sure about not having a reg and moisture trap on power max 30 xp ? The downloaded service manual shows one inside on the left side of machine ( facing the front). Supposedly under the units cover. Looks like a auto drain type from the picture.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X