Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plasma cutter purchase things to consider??? Looking to buy the Spectrum® 375 X-TREME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arizona Joe View Post
    While I see it and read it, nevertheless I am not convinced. I wrote a long response explaining why, but it got lost after my login timed out. Rather than repeat everything, I will repeat that I ended by saying I would send an email to Hypertherm and report their response.

Thanks for the research guys.
    Heck... it is a better machine than you thought...

with an air regulator you didn't think you had,,

that should not be too hard to take...

BTW.. I have had a PM1000 for several years now and could not be happier...
    Last edited by H80N; 04-14-2015, 08:35 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      Heck... it is a better machine than you thought...

with an air regulator you didn't think you had,,

that should not be too hard to take...

BTW.. I have had a PM1000 for several years now and could not be happier...
      If I can leave my compressor at its usual 130 psi cutoff and get rid of the external regulator and filter I'm using, that would be splendid.

Btw, I got an automatic response from Hypertherm on my question of whether I need a regulator or not. I'll post their response when I get it.

The school where I am taking welding classes is entirely Blue. The instructor has a Miller front license plate and, I heard, even has a Miller tattoo on his upper arm. The only thing that's not Blue is the Hypertherm 85 for the plasma table.

Comment

My best welders are BLUE (Miller)... my best plasma is SILVER (Hypertherm)

Need I say more..??

Last edited by H80N; 04-14-2015, 10:05 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Arizona Joe,

I don't spend much time on this forum, however your question that was posted directly to Hypertherm was forwarded to me...so here is my response!

The Powermax30XP does have a preset internal regulator integrated to a coalescing filter and an auto drain. If you see a small puddle of water under your machine, then it has separated some moisture from your air system and drained it out the bottom of the power supply. The input pressure specs on this system are for 80 to 100 psi. The internal single stage regulator controls this 20 psi range down to the correct cutting pressure of 68psi for longest consumable life and best cut quality with either set of consumables (the 30 amp shielded or the Finecut, non shielded). Basically its function is to minimize the air pressure fluctuation that occurs as air systems cycle.

Most compressors cycle between 90 psi and 130 psi. This should be regulated to the required input of 80 to 100 psi. If you allow your full compressor pressure....the range will cause more fluctuation to the consumables...resulting in less than normal life.

In a nutshell, yes there is an internal regulator in the 30XP (and a moisture removal system), and yes, you should regulate the input pressure to 80 to 100 psi.

I might add, in my home shop is a Bobcat 225G, and an old Millermatic250 mig. Quite a few grey Powermax units for hand and cnc cutting as well!

Best regards, Jim Colt Hypertherm

Originally posted by Arizona Joe View Post
          If I can leave my compressor at its usual 130 psi cutoff and get rid of the external regulator and filter I'm using, that would be splendid.

Btw, I got an automatic response from Hypertherm on my question of whether I need a regulator or not. I'll post their response when I get it.

The school where I am taking welding classes is entirely Blue. The instructor has a Miller front license plate and, I heard, even has a Miller tattoo on his upper arm. The only thing that's not Blue is the Hypertherm 85 for the plasma table.
          Last edited by jimcolt; 04-15-2015, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I really like my Powermax 30. Never had any issues with it and is very portable. I went back and forth for a while trying to decide if I wanted the 45 or 30. It cuts everything I ever needed it to cut. I place a fence on my material and just drag the torch, very easy and CLEAN! You cant go wrong.

Mine came with an external filter/separator.

ja
            Last edited by ja baudin; 04-15-2015, 04:36 PM.
            sigpic

Dynasty 200 DX
            Millermatic 350P
            30A Spoolgun
            Lincoln Pro Mig 140
            Hypertherm Powermax 30
            14" Rage Evolution dry saw
            40 ton press brake
            Evenheat Heat treat oven

1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

Comment

Plasma cutter purchase things to consider??? Looking to buy the Spectrum® 375 X-TREME

I'm getting ready to buy a plasma cutter I was going to buy the 875 miller spectrum but I keep reading that hypertherm r better little more expensive but sounds like it's worth it

Comment

Working...
              X