Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMW
    replied
    It is not just welders but all blue collar work that has taken a hit in the last twenty years. Sure there are exceptions but I find for the most part pay is the same or even less for hands on work than it was 15 years ago.

Just look at the regulations a business has to deal with that never used to be there. Insurance is higher, health care is higher, taxes are higher, more government rules & regs to follow, more paperwork & the list goes on. This all cuts into what an employer can pay his employees. Not to mention the increased outsourcing of whatever the company's can.

So to answer one of your questions -- yes it is more difficult to make a good living as a welder than it used to be. If you are good at what you do & have business sense then you should be able to do o/k. But it also depends on the area you live in.

A lot of welders who are an employee generally do side jobs. Why do you think that is? Cause they make so much money during the week?

I don't get hung up on how much I make a week. You need to look at the long term. Some weeks are great & some aren't. You just need to focus on the average over a period of time. I guess if you are an employee then it would matter but I work for myself.
    Last edited by MMW; 03-28-2015, 07:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• raferguson
    replied
    Originally posted by Rhinox View Post
    Just wonder... is it just me or there is not as much money to be made as a welder as it used to be?????

How much you guys making weekly????
    as an employee?
    Self-employed?
    I would think of it in terms of what you are doing.

1. An employee working in a shop
    2. Someone working for themselves.
    3. Someone working on a pipeline or a construction project

And then you have the factor of experience, and the industry that you are in. I have to believe that the guys welding aerospace are making more money than the guy welding up dumpsters.

It is a bit like the question, "How much does it cost to live in St. Louis?" It depends on many factors, including your personal habits. As one gentleman said, what is perhaps more important is living within your means, whatever they are.

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Just wonder... is it just me or there is not as much money to be made as a welder as it used to be?????

as an employee?
    Self-employed?
    Why are you asking this question again, what does it matter, besides weren't you in McMurray? Most guys in the States and some parts of Canada don't have to be trained as a J-man or have a Red-Seal to call themselves a welder so $/hr is much less. Honestly work for welders is drying up as EVERTHING revolves around oil prices.

Leave a comment:

• Ltbadd
    replied
    Moving Up!

as an employee?
    Self-employed?
    Well if you're good and have a desire to learn you can stand out and do pretty well I believe. You have to have a good work ethic, now-a-days if you can make it to work everyday, on time, you already look good.

Also it's not always how much you make, it's how much you spend!

Leave a comment:

• MinnesotaDave
    replied

as an employee?
    Self-employed?
    I work part-time out of my home shop.
    I try to clear $200 per day if I can.

That wouldn't be enough if I ran a full time shop though.

How much do you make?

Leave a comment:

• Tryagn5
    replied

as an employee?
    Self-employed?
    MILLIONS...good luck getting an answer, kinda like asking a women her weight.
    Kevin

Leave a comment:

• Rhinox
    started a topic What kind of money you guys making welding

What kind of money you guys making welding

as an employee?
    Self-employed?
Working...
X