No announcement yet.

What kind of money you guys making welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welders are like any other occupation, some of us are doing great while others are going out of business.

I have a welder that comes to me to buy his steel and he struggles to make $25,000 year.
    There are other guys that have a crew of 3 and make $ 25,000 month.

Its all about the following:
    Knowing how to deal with customers.

What type of work are you qualified to do that pertains to the welding field such as: Pipe welding, Mill wright work, Iron work, Rebuilding asphalt and concrete plants, cranes. conveyors, heavy structural, Heavy equipment, Restaurant stainless, Tig aluminum, engineering and the list goes on.

knowledge = Money

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
      knowledge = Money
      Also...wisdom---> the proper application of knowledge
      Richard
      West coast of Florida

Comment

$$$$$

Millwrights Loc. 102 $40.43 Hr.

Comment

Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post

Its all about the following:
          Knowing how to deal with customers.

What type of work are you qualified to do that pertains to the welding field such as: Pipe welding, Mill wright work, Iron work, Rebuilding asphalt and concrete plants, cranes. conveyors, heavy structural, Heavy equipment, Restaurant stainless, Tig aluminum, engineering and the list goes on.

knowledge = Money
          You missed one

The bribe.... I don't even know how to start that but I do know people making boat loads doing it.

Comment

Country Metals, I'm guilty as charged, I've been known to buy pizza for the guys or a $ 50.00 gift certificate to a nice restaurant as a token of appreciation.
            Keep in mind ( Always above board )

However, There are some companies that even to buy a $ 5.00 lunch is not aloud.

Comment

My Real LIfe Experience

Short and sweet, leaving out most details-

Attended school Welding/Maint/Fab & Pipe Welding 2012-2013.
              Honors, did best in class, etc.
              Nobody local would hire me out of school, of literally 50 apps.
              Human Resource Personnel, are not humans themselves. They rely on data, it simplifies their job. Past hiring, I'm not quite sure what they do exactly...

Tested for local unions, nothing, after hours of my time, wasted money on testing. 4.0 gpa, passed many advanced certs in accordance with AWS, scholastic honors, president of school welding club. Amazing, how I can excel at the school they instruct at, yet not get an opportunity with them. That's unions for ya. Pensions are dieing out quick anyway.

Hired at Caterpillar, Prentice, Wi. $15.39/hr, 7 hours north of home/wife/kids.
              Could have made that at tacobell 3 mins from home. Pride and determination is a beotch..
              Actually really enjoyed the work, treated right, no where to live though.
              Lasted 6 months-

Hired by local "aerospace" company.
              I gtaw'd new and repair jobs for twin engine aircraft exhaust systems.
              $17/hr, zero benefits, dealt with a drunk as supervisor, horrible exp.
              Lasted 3 months-

Hired 1 hr from home working with exotic alloys, they considered me experienced and hired at highest wage of all, ok sure... $20/hr, full benefits, etc.
              I was appointed lead trainer of staff to pass AWS tests for contracts.
              I've passed many advanced certs, most of all 6G XXH Pipe GTAW, etc.
              Brought staff from 7 yr old skills to entry level in 2 months, 1 hr a day each.
              Bumped pay, to $22/hr as a reward. Owner picked up literally millions in contracts. $2, Two Bucks!! Sets me at $3 under market value according to research.

I was contacted recently for a welding supervisor role for shop much closer to home for $28/hr full benefits, that's starting. That's 1 yr out of school.... Not bad for this field.

That's where I'm currently at-
              It takes drive and passion to get to where you want to be. I was raised, "you have to want it"!! My recent future was extremely bleak. I saved up money to open my own side business. Brand, Inc title, Insurance, Banking, Certifications, Webpage, Flyers, Cards, works. Supporting mobile welding, side jobs, welding over flow for companies, welding stuff companies send to my front door and making a killing to be honest!! Would like to stop daily job but those benefits are not cheap. Milking cows doesn't always take place on a farm. Besides, I enjoy what I do at work. Isn't that the ultimate goal? I make over 6 figs and have time to attend my kids t-ball games. Work smart, and hard!!

You, and only you are in charge of your career in life, nobody can stand in your way.

Welding is simply a skill, which opens many doors for you, choose wisely.

I have zero regrets in welding, Go Miller !!

Best of luck to you bud!

Comment

Thats there says it all!

Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                X