What kind of money you guys making welding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of money you guys making welding

Just wonder... is it just me or there is not as much money to be made as a welder as it used to be?????

How much you guys making weekly????
    as an employee?
    Self-employed?

Originally posted by Rhinox View Post
    Just wonder... is it just me or there is not as much money to be made as a welder as it used to be?????

as an employee?
    Self-employed?
    MILLIONS...good luck getting an answer, kinda like asking a women her weight.
    Kevin
    Lincoln ranger 305g x2
    Ln25
    Miller spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spoolgun
    Wc115a
    Lincoln 210mp
    F550 imt service truck

Comment

as an employee?
      Self-employed?
      I work part-time out of my home shop.
      I try to clear $200 per day if I can.

That wouldn't be enough if I ran a full time shop though.

How much do you make?
      "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300 Heliwelder
      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
      ESAB 161
      Invertec v250 and v300 Pro
      SA200
      Spectrum 700 plasma
      MM210
      Miller HF-15-1
      Dirty ugly tools - perfect

Comment

Moving Up!

as an employee?
        Self-employed?
        Well if you're good and have a desire to learn you can stand out and do pretty well I believe. You have to have a good work ethic, now-a-days if you can make it to work everyday, on time, you already look good.

Also it's not always how much you make, it's how much you spend!
        Richard
        West coast of Florida

Comment

as an employee?
          Self-employed?
          Why are you asking this question again, what does it matter, besides weren't you in McMurray? Most guys in the States and some parts of Canada don't have to be trained as a J-man or have a Red-Seal to call themselves a welder so $/hr is much less. Honestly work for welders is drying up as EVERTHING revolves around oil prices.

Comment

as an employee?
            Self-employed?
            I would think of it in terms of what you are doing.

1. An employee working in a shop
            2. Someone working for themselves.
            3. Someone working on a pipeline or a construction project

And then you have the factor of experience, and the industry that you are in. I have to believe that the guys welding aerospace are making more money than the guy welding up dumpsters.

It is a bit like the question, "How much does it cost to live in St. Louis?" It depends on many factors, including your personal habits. As one gentleman said, what is perhaps more important is living within your means, whatever they are.
            Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

Comment

It is not just welders but all blue collar work that has taken a hit in the last twenty years. Sure there are exceptions but I find for the most part pay is the same or even less for hands on work than it was 15 years ago.

Just look at the regulations a business has to deal with that never used to be there. Insurance is higher, health care is higher, taxes are higher, more government rules & regs to follow, more paperwork & the list goes on. This all cuts into what an employer can pay his employees. Not to mention the increased outsourcing of whatever the company's can.

So to answer one of your questions -- yes it is more difficult to make a good living as a welder than it used to be. If you are good at what you do & have business sense then you should be able to do o/k. But it also depends on the area you live in.

A lot of welders who are an employee generally do side jobs. Why do you think that is? Cause they make so much money during the week?

I don't get hung up on how much I make a week. You need to look at the long term. Some weeks are great & some aren't. You just need to focus on the average over a period of time. I guess if you are an employee then it would matter but I work for myself.
              Last edited by MMW; 03-28-2015, 07:05 AM.
              MM250
              Trailblazer 250g
              22a feeder
              Lincoln ac/dc 225
              Victor O/A
              MM200 black face
              Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
              Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
              Arco roto-phase model M
              Vectrax 7x12 band saw
              Miller spectrum 875
              30a spoolgun w/wc-24
              Syncrowave 250
              RCCS-14

Comment

Here are some of my thoughts, some of which have been shared already. If I tell you how much I make it won't make any real difference. If you are a beginner you will never make what I make today starting out just like I don't make what those who have been in the business 30 years might make. If you are in the trade just to get rich you won't succeed or be truely happy. No matter how much you are paid you will never be satisfied and that will drive you mad. Yes, we have to make a living and provide for our families but don't set out to be rich as your only reason to weld.

As for not making as much money today as in the past, I can't speak with authority but can say that there is money out there, one has to be willing to find it. As mentioned, work ethic is one of the keys for success. I will not hire anyone who can lay down weld**** but can't drag himself out of bed in time for work or is lazy throughout the day.

Since you asked for a figure though, around this area (Ohio) jobs range $10-$25 non-union depending on what it is and experience required so again that does not help much.
                -Jonathan

Comment

Totally different world in the States than Canada. In Canada we would not get out of bed for $25/hr, $10/hr, McDonalds pays $13 ,a shop j-man welder gets around the $40-50hr mark, with a rig anywhere from $90-125/hr full supply. The high end being duplex stainless tig.

Comment

cruizer,
                    I am curious though. Isn't the cost of living higher there than here in the US? If it is those prices would really be the same in the end.

Or maybe we all need to move to Canada
                    -Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by Superiorwelding View Post
                      cruizer,
                      I am curious though. Isn't the cost of living higher there than here in the US? If it is those prices would really be the same in the end.

Or maybe we all need to move to Canada
                      -Jonathan
                      Unsure, never lived in the States, however, when I was trucking, prices for stuff after the monetary difference seemed to compare pretty close

Comment

Here's Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers, with a lot of details:

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes514121.htm

Mean Hourly wage: $19.25

Median: $17.99
                        Miller stuff:
                        Dialarc 250 (1974)
                        Syncrowave 250 (1992)
                        Spot welder (Dayton badged)

Comment

If your certified to do any code work, your going to earn good $$.
                          I'm a union Ironworker welder by trade and jman status. While I wont say my exact hourly wage, I will say it's inline with what cruizer described. I've worked steady for some time now and don't see any slow down in site as of yet.
                          Lincoln Idealarc 250
                          Miller Bobcat 250
                          Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
                          Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                          Torchmate CNC table

Comment

I make very little money welding, but what I do make comes with a 600% profit margin
                            HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                            HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                            HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                            HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                            HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                            HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

The money I bring home is just as green as the next guys, and I'm happy just to have constant work.

Comment

Working...
                              X