Dynasty 200 DX vs Dynasty 280 DX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200 DX vs Dynasty 280 DX

I am interested in getting some feedback on these two machines. I am a metal sculptor and have been using my dad's Lincoln squarewave 175 for tig welding. He now wants it back so I have to buy a new welder and I have narrowed it down to these two machines. In my studio I currently weld 1/4 inch stainless steel on down and I would also like to get into aluminum. I have done a fair amount of research and am familiar with both machines from a technical standpoint but I have never seen or used either one. My question is; Do I buy the 200 DX that will handle my current needs or do I buy ahead of my needs and get the 280 DX and future proof my possible Aluminum endeavors? The 280 DX is a relatively new machine so I would like to hear from some people that have that machine or better yet someone who has used or owned both. Is it simply "money no object, get the 280"? Is the CPS option advisable? Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by Zan View Post
    or do I buy ahead of my needs and get the 280 DX and future proof my possible Aluminum endeavors?
    While I don't have experience with either machine, (we have the Dynasty 350 at work), this is the top of the line inverter machine. If the cost of the 280 isn't an issue then I think your reasoning is sound.
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

Comment

Originally posted by Ltbadd View Post
      While I don't have experience with either machine, (we have the Dynasty 350 at work), this is the top of the line inverter machine. If the cost of the 280 isn't an issue then I think your reasoning is sound.
      I agree... go with the Dyn 280...

it was not available when I bought mine... I have both Dyn 200 & Dyn 350... and love em...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I love aluminum. I find the 280 DX is probably more than I need for steel. Aluminum needs lots more BTUs. It carries heat away at an alarming rate. Often I need lots of heat to form a puddle. I wanted to never need a better TIG welder. I feel the 280DX fits the bill. Paying for it hurt, Now I don't even remember the exact cost. If I had bought a machine that didn't measure up the cost wouldn't matter, I'd be unhappy.
        Dynasty 280DX
        Bobcat 250
        MM252
        Spool gun
        Twentieth Century 295
        Twentieth Century 295 AC
        Marquette spot welder
        Smith torches

Comment

I am interested in getting some feedback on these two machines. I am a metal sculptor and have been using my dad's Lincoln squarewave 175 for tig welding. He now wants it back so I have to buy a new welder and I have narrowed it down to these two machines. In my studio I currently weld 1/4 inch stainless steel on down and I would also like to get into aluminum. I have done a fair amount of research and am familiar with both machines from a technical standpoint but I have never seen or used either one. My question is; Do I buy the 200 DX that will handle my current needs or do I buy ahead of my needs and get the 280 DX and future proof my possible Aluminum endeavors? The 280 DX is a relatively new machine so I would like to hear from some people that have that machine or better yet someone who has used or owned both. Is it simply "money no object, get the 280"? Is the CPS option advisable? Thanks for any help!
          I haven't used the Dynasty 280 yet. I have the 200DX. Great machine! We have about 50 of the 350DX at work. I love them. As for your question-buy the 280DX. the 200DX can do .250 material, but, it will stretch the duty cycle of the machine. Especially on aluminum!

If you are going to do .250 material on a regular basis, go for the water-cooled package.

Comment

I had a Diversion 180. Duty cycle was extreme! The chart shows 10%. Even very thin aluminum needed preheat. The task of forming a puddle was enough to leave it spent. I haven't used a 200. I think duty cycle time is similar to 280, but at lower amperage. I have stretched the 280DX to 3/4" stock. It behaved admirably!
            Dynasty 280DX
            Bobcat 250
            MM252
            Spool gun
            Twentieth Century 295
            Twentieth Century 295 AC
            Marquette spot welder
            Smith torches

Comment

I've never even used a Miller Dynasty anything and I want a 280DX! I'm happy with my HTP Invertig 221 for the moment at least.
              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

280 purchase CPS option?

I am interested in getting some feedback on these two machines. I am a metal sculptor and have been using my dad's Lincoln squarewave 175 for tig welding. ........... I would also like to get into aluminum.
                My question is; Do I buy the 200 DX that will handle my current needs or do I buy ahead of my needs and get the 280 DX and future proof my possible Aluminum endeavors?
                The 280 DX is a relatively new machine so I would like to hear from some people that have that machine or better yet someone who has used or owned both.
                Is it simply "money no object, get the 280"? Is the CPS option advisable? Thanks for any help!

The CPS option is a good idea-turns the cooler on thru machine power outlet

An option on the 280--which is standard on the 350--that
                will make all the difference on AL welding is:
                MEMORY CARD,DYN 280DX EXPANSION AC INDEPENDENT 301235 $514.00
                AL has 3X the heat capacity that steel does.
                This feature allows the waveform to be further tailored
                to deliver that additional heat. It is a big deal.

'Normal' folks just set up the EN side higher than the EP side--which is what Miller suggests and this works wholly well.
                It adds significant punch to the heat input, compared to machines which do not have this feature.

In Oct.'2014--Zank bounced a krazee idea off me to try
                using a very short duration--10-15%, but 1.5 to 2.0 higher
                'spike' of the cleaning amps--the EP side. This provides
                the best cleaning action I've ever seen, while allowing for
                massive, focused heat input and still maintaining a sharp
                point on 2% Lan. electrode.

I refer to this 2EP-1EN waveform setup as Zank's Krazee Idea.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...age&highlight=

The link above shows what's possible with a 280--Zank and a 350 by myself. Since the start of this, I've done a bunch of other AL weldments/repairs--thick, thin, new stock, old corroded, cast, wrought......and the 'reversed' 2EN-1EP has always pleasantly surprised me with its performance vs. the 'normal' way.

I'll contend that especially for a new tigger--this will make them look much better than they are in dealing with AL. For old tiggers, it saves us time and hassle.

Comment

I reinforce what is mentioned above - if you plan to perform heavy use near the 200 amp mark just go up to a 280DX - I bought one in January after using an Everlast 200 (no comparison) and love it. Beautiful arc control on DC & AC. I have used Dynasty 200s and 300s years back and fell in love with them.

Additionally if you ever want to get serious and want flexibility on AC, the 280DX has the upgrade available for independent amplitude too.
                  Stainless process piping - welder & fitter

Miller Dynasty 280DX
                  Jet band saw
                  Dewalt chop saw
                  Assorted IR air tools and Metabos

Comment

Ok. The 280 DX it is. I don't have any torches or accessories and will have to get the machine up and running. I have decided to start with an air cooled torch for various reasons. Should I get the miller contractor kit with wp 1725R tig torch or should I go "a la carte" and buy a ssc foot pedal and ck trimline 26 torch as well as regulator and ground clamp?

Comment

I would suggest an SSC pedal over a miller any day. So that alone means going a La carte for everything else you need. Check your LWS for flowmeter, torch, consumables.
                      Stainless process piping - welder & fitter

Miller Dynasty 280DX
                      Jet band saw
                      Dewalt chop saw
                      Assorted IR air tools and Metabos

Comment

Get the water cooled torch, and if you aren't ready for a cooler use sink water. I did when my cooler was back ordered. It'd be a shame to limit yourself with a big clunky torch you have to baby. Water cooled torches are smaller, and don't overheat. I have a weldcraft 280, I would look into a CK.
                        Dynasty 280DX
                        Bobcat 250
                        MM252
                        Spool gun
                        Twentieth Century 295
                        Twentieth Century 295 AC
                        Marquette spot welder
                        Smith torches

Comment

Upgrade cost 200DX to 280DX

I have a Dynasty 200 DX with about 65 Hours of arc time. I really like the machine but have always need more heat when doing aluminum which is what I do 60% of the time.

I think a 280 would really improve my situation.

What could I reasonably expect Money wise to get out of my 200 DX Tig runner package it's in fantastic shape and has been covered it's entire life in a private shop Purchased May 2010 I have been the only operator.
                          200 DX
                          Cooler
                          WP 20 Torch
                          Cart
                          (Tig Runner Package with wired foot control)
                          Mountain Metal
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Coolmate 1
                          Miller Trailblazer 302 W/ Kohler
                          Miller Suitcase 12VS Wire feeder
                          Weldcraft 26 TIG Torch
                          Miller 210
                          Spoolmate 3035
                          Thermal Dynamics 51 Plasma
                          Victor O/A
                          Jet 7x12 L Cooled Band Saw
                          Delta Drill Press
                          Dewalt Chop

Comment

Ok. The 280 DX it is. I don't have any torches or accessories and will have to get the machine up and running. I have decided to start with an air cooled torch for various reasons. Should I get the miller contractor kit with wp 1725R tig torch or should I go "a la carte" and buy a ssc foot pedal and ck trimline 26 torch as well as regulator and ground clamp?
                            Late response as usual! Working too many hours! I would personally go with the C K torch. I am very pleased with their products. Check and see if they have the super flex cable to go with it. I got a flex lock torch last Christmas with the super flex cable. It is great!! You can't go wrong with CK.

Another option is the WeldCraft torch kit. It allows you to configure your torch into various head angles and sizes. It works for the 17 size torches-so you will still be limited on the amps you can run. But, it is better than buying a bunch of torches.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stang View Post
                              Late response as usual! Working too many hours! I would personally go with the C K torch. I am very pleased with their products. Check and see if they have the super flex cable to go with it. I got a flex lock torch last Christmas with the super flex cable. It is great!! You can't go wrong with CK.

Another option is the WeldCraft torch kit. It allows you to configure your torch into various head angles and sizes. It works for the 17 size torches-so you will still be limited on the amps you can run. But, it is better than buying a bunch of torches.
                              ...and YET another good option is WeldTec's Tec Torches. They make some really nice torches and heavy duty consumables. Their Speedway water-cooled torches are rated at 320A(!). I use the i-Head Roto-head water-cooled torch and very pleased with it.

http://www.tectorch.com/sw%20torches.htm
                              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                              HTP Pro Pulse 300 MIG
                              HTP Pro Pulse 200 MIG x2
                              HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS
                              HTP Inverarc 200 TLP water cooled
                              HTP Microcut 875SC

Comment

Working...
                              X