X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CODE4
    replied
    Definitely more questions than answers

No problem. The owner is installing them in his older 45 ft sailboat. They are going to be fully fiberglassed into the floor, replacing the original rotted out carbon steel tanks.

They will be supported on 48" x 48" side, laying flat.

Baffles will be installed before the last panel is welded on, H shape is pretty accurate.

I understand what you mean regarding butting the edges up on the corner seams, to make an outside corner weld vs a modified Tee joint with weaker weld joint.

Leave a comment:

• H80N
    replied
    Originally posted by CODE4 View Post
    Good morning,

Looking for suggestions or bookmarks for best welding practices of aluminum fuel tank.

GTAW
    5052 0.125" ALUMINUM
    Approximate dimensions of 48" x 48" x 12"
    I am making two units for diesel tank replacement for a sailboat.

Cuts and fits are tight, I am looking for beat practices on welding methods - back stepping my welds? Suggested bead length, if any?

I admit I am much stronger with carbon and stainless, but have limited time running aluminum.

Thanks.
    More questions than answers...

How many baffles and confifuration..?? "H" shape baffle..?

Rounded edge or sharp..?? ( Radius bent corners spread the stresses... sharp ones concentrate stresses)

Strap mounts or tabs??

Mounting place.. flat and supported or will it support itself over an open area..??

lets see... 12 Cubic foot = 90 gallons..(89.76623376 US Fluid Gallons)

90 X 7.15 Lbs Per Gal = 643 Lbs... fuel weight..

and SEVERAL times that in a pounding following sea during a storm...

.. things to consider

How about some pics of the proposed mounting place..?? and old tank..??
    Last edited by H80N; 03-22-2015, 06:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Portable Welder
    replied
    I would use a 3/32 filler rod, bend up as much as possible with a press brake.

Just go through and tack it up and then weld it up.

The biggest thing to do is corner to corner welds so you can get a nice thick weld.

what I mean is dont overlap the plate onto the other, bring your edges together and put the tack when the first meet.

Leave a comment:

• CODE4
    started a topic aluminum fuel tank - best welding practice

aluminum fuel tank - best welding practice

Good morning,

Looking for suggestions or bookmarks for best welding practices of aluminum fuel tank.

GTAW
    5052 0.125" ALUMINUM
    Approximate dimensions of 48" x 48" x 12"
    I am making two units for diesel tank replacement for a sailboat.

Cuts and fits are tight, I am looking for beat practices on welding methods - back stepping my welds? Suggested bead length, if any?

I admit I am much stronger with carbon and stainless, but have limited time running aluminum.

Thanks.
Working...
X