Aluminum brazing rod joint strength

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum brazing rod joint strength

Hi My name is Kris. I'm new to this forum. I have a small home business where I make parts and sell. Lately I designed new product which requires aluminum to aluminum joint. I do not own a welding machine and the parts I want to join require only small short welds. How much of pulling force the weld can withstand? Part will be mounted to the bench and pulled with force of at least 100lbs. I attached a drawing which shows the pulling force direction. Do you guys think this will hold? Thanks

Originally posted by Kristof View Post
    Hi My name is Kris. I'm new to this forum. I have a small home business where I make parts and sell. Lately I designed new product which requires aluminum to aluminum joint. I do not own a welding machine and the parts I want to join require only small short welds. How much of pulling force the weld can withstand? Part will be mounted to the bench and pulled with force of at least 100lbs. I attached a drawing which shows the pulling force direction. Do you guys think this will hold? Thanks
    Need LOTS more information...

Aluminum brazing rod?? is a broad definition which one and what exactly are you joining..??

if you are talking about those flea market/state fair propane-bernzomatic rods .. they are largely junk..

You might consider subcontracting out the welding to somebody else and have a sound weld

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Yes. I'm talking about the bernzomatic rods.
      Here is a drawing of where I need to weld the pieces together.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	welding done.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	518908

Comment

[ATTACH]35073[/ATTACH]
        IMHO.. that joint design requires an actual weld...
        probably TIG if it is a small part..

those brazing alloys need a lap joint with lots of surface area to achieve their ideal strength and durability... your application does not provide that..

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

[ATTACH]35073[/ATTACH]
          What is the size of the angle, leg length and thickness? How thick is the plate?
          Richard
          West coast of Florida

Comment

Sniff, sniff, sniff. I smell a rat!

Griff

Comment

Don't talk about it-do it

Yes. I'm talking about the bernzomatic rods. <snip>
              Sounds like you're hades-bent to save money--so solder up some sample parts
              and test them. Hope this is closer to the pre-determined answer you're looking for!

Comment

I asked about these products not long ago and got lots of good observations. Go to page 4 and click on SWAP-MEET ALUMINUM BRAZING ROD.

Meanwhile, I agree with H80N that the type of joint you show is quite unlikely to get good results when "welded" with the low-temperature rod. That type of rod does have some limited uses, but not to include what you are doing, I don't think.

If the maker of the rod states that the fluxes in his product allow you to make good welds without any pre-weld cleaning of the joint, don't accept that. Aluminum is rather tedious to work with, in that it needs to be carefully cleaned and prepped right before any welding is done.
                Last edited by old jupiter; 03-20-2015, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys for all the answers . It looks like using those rods for my application is not recommended. That is why I do my research online first. Now have to find local welder

Comment

Working...
                  X