Portable generator with Millermatic 211

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable generator with Millermatic 211

I have a Millermatic 211 MIG welder, the plug is able to be swapped for 120v or 230v. I'm trying to figure out a way to run it with a portable generator. I found a way that I believe works, but I just want to confirm with you guys/gals before I go ahead with it.

Portable generator: http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-pe...9728-8786.html Predator 4000peak/3200running watts with 20A 120v outlets and a 30A 240V twist lock outlet.

Welder: Millermatic 211 MIG http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC12-54.pdf According to the linked manual, input AMPS for the rated outputs are: 20A 120V and 24.3A 230V

In my mind, the welder with the 120V plug is fine to be used with the generator, but the 230V side is where I'm a little hesitant. The 230V plug from the welder is a NEMA 6-50, but the manual says that the required input amperage for 230V is only 24.3A. Can I use an adapter from a NEMA 6-50R to L14-30P to be able to plug the welder into the generator to use? The adapter I was thinking is: http://www.evseadapters.com/index.ph...&product_id=63

Even though the required input for 230V is only 24.3A, why does the welder have a 50A NEMA 6-50P?

Any help or input is appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by 6fthook; 03-18-2015, 03:17 PM.

MM211 Comes with the 6-50p because it is a common plug used for welding machines.

Unfortunately the generator you linked does not have enough power, even at peak power.

4000/3200watt

Peak power is used for tools like saws that have larger start up power draw than when running, but for welding machines... you need to use the Running watts.

3200watts/240v=13.33 amps

And it doesn't have a 120v/240v switch so technically it is a 240v generator split into 2-120v windings.

This means that each half of the genet's 120v receptacles can only handle 13.33 continuous amps as well. 1600watts/120v=13.33amps

* the generator has a 30amp RATED receptacle- it doesn't have enough power though
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 03-18-2015, 05:01 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
      MM211 Comes with the 6-50p because it is a common plug used for welding machines.

Unfortunately the generator you linked does not have enough power, even at peak power.

4000/3200watt

Peak power is used for tools like saws that have larger start up power draw than when running, but for welding machines... you need to use the Running watts.

3200watts/240v=13.33 amps

And it doesn't have a 120v/240v switch so technically it is a 240v generator split into 2-120v windings.

This means that each half of the genet's 120v receptacles can only handle 13.33 continuous amps as well. 1600watts/120v=13.33amps

* the generator has a 30amp RATED receptacle- it doesn't have enough power though
      In other words, look for a generator of 6000+ watts continuous to run the 211 from.

Comment

Thanks for the help so far!

Do you know of a 120v/240v switched portable generator like you described? I searched but couldn't find anything.

I have a 6500 running watt portable Generator that we have for emergency power during power outages. If I use the adapter to run the welder with 240v or if I run the welder on 120v, it should be good to go right? 6500watts/240volts and 3250watts/120volts is about 27amps according to an online calculator.
        Last edited by 6fthook; 03-18-2015, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Check with Cruiser. Power quality from this generator might be a concern. I had an old 7500 watt Kohler stationary twin unit weighing several hundred pounds I used with my Millermatic 252 with good results, and I regularly use my Bobcat 250 to power it. If you can't buy an adapter, it's easy enough to make. I'd only use it at 240 volts.
          Dynasty 280DX
          Bobcat 250
          MM252
          Spool gun
          Twentieth Century 295
          Twentieth Century 295 AC
          Marquette spot welder
          Smith torches

Comment

Generator Capacity

If your welder needs 24.3 amps @ 230 volts, that equals 5589 watts. Your 6KW generator (assuming that's run, not starting, capacity) is rated to run it but just barely in my estimation. I don't like to load a generator greater than 80-90% for long periods of time and you would be above 90. On the other hand, the welder rating is probably at max output. If you're running less than max and at relatively low duty cycle, could be OK. No good reason to run your welder on 120v if you have 240 available. Higher voltage will deliver a few more watts through the same power cord due to the lower current being drawn from the gen--less power lost in the cord. Just have to make up an adapter cord fron the gen to a receptacle for your welder to plug in to. If you are not electrically savvy, get some help with that.

Comment

Since you already have a 6500 generator, give it a shot at running on it. No need to buy another genset to run it on if it will power it satisfactorily. If you just have money burning a hole in your pocket to be spent on more generator power, why not consider an engine drive welder with the power output available that will power the 211 also. A Bobcat225-250 would fill the bill, and then you can stick weld, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post
                If your welder needs 24.3 amps @ 230 volts, that equals 5589 watts. Your 6KW generator (assuming that's run, not starting, capacity) is rated to run it but just barely in my estimation. I don't like to load a generator greater than 80-90% for long periods of time and you would be above 90. On the other hand, the welder rating is probably at max output. If you're running less than max and at relatively low duty cycle, could be OK. No good reason to run your welder on 120v if you have 240 available. Higher voltage will deliver a few more watts through the same power cord due to the lower current being drawn from the gen--less power lost in the cord. Just have to make up an adapter cord fron the gen to a receptacle for your welder to plug in to. If you are not electrically savvy, get some help with that.
                Sorry-misread your post. I missed that your gen was 6500W not 6000. Should work OK capacity-wise. As someone else noted, always good to have Cruizer's thoughts on power quality from a generator for your mm211.

Comment

Working...
                X