Millermatic 211 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 211 problems

Hey guys, I have a 211 that has been giving me grief almost since the day I bought it, every once in a while it will not feed wire while I am using it, it seems to be a random thing and I cannot get the local Miller rep to reproduce the problem. It starts out with everything working just fine and then I can hear the machine sort of bear down like its under load and my wire feed will slow down and sometimes stop and melt the tip, it happens on heavy steel and thin gage, it will sometimes work well for several hours. I have tried adjusting the drive rolls, changing the power cord, I have used it in different shops with their power, I have used it with no extension cord, I am aware of keeping the stinger line as straight as possible, the only thing I have not changed is the liner, but I have only used one full roll of 0.30 wire. What the **** am I doing wrong? I am an experienced MIG welder, and I am scratching my head here. I have developed a strong dislike to using this machine because it is never consistent, also I always use it on 220. I had a similar experience with a 251, in a shop I used to work in.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have NO expertise on this but I do have a question.
    Do you run with the welding machine's door open?

(No I don't know if it would matter...I ask cause I was thinking maybe some junk is getting in there and causing a problem.)
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.

Comment

Originally posted by cruiserdog View Post
      Hey guys, I have a 211 that has been giving me grief almost since the day I bought it, every once in a while it will not feed wire while I am using it, it seems to be a random thing and I cannot get the local Miller rep to reproduce the problem. It starts out with everything working just fine and then I can hear the machine sort of bear down like its under load and my wire feed will slow down and sometimes stop and melt the tip, it happens on heavy steel and thin gage, it will sometimes work well for several hours. I have tried adjusting the drive rolls, changing the power cord, I have used it in different shops with their power, I have used it with no extension cord, I am aware of keeping the stinger line as straight as possible, the only thing I have not changed is the liner, but I have only used one full roll of 0.30 wire. What the **** am I doing wrong? I am an experienced MIG welder, and I am scratching my head here. I have developed a strong dislike to using this machine because it is never consistent, also I always use it on 220. I had a similar experience with a 251, in a shop I used to work in.
      Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      When was the last time you changed the contact tip??

and are you using name brand tips of the proper size..

some of the offshore ones will give you endless grief...

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Going to guess and say that you've cranked down your drive tension too much.

When you adjust the tension, the wire should curl nicely in the palm of your hand without slipping.

Comment

Maybe try loosening the tension on the wire spool support to just tight enough to keep the wire from uncoiling from the spool.

Comment

Working...
          X