Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shielding Gas Filters

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Shielding Gas Filters

    Is anyone familiar with shielding gas filters? I'm trying to find in-line type filters that I can hook up once the gas has passed through the regulator. I'm finding very fine filters, like .02 or .01 micron, but I feel that is a bit excess for my requirement. In reality, I'd like to find one filter around 60-80 micron and another between 5-10 micron. Brass material is preferred. Does anyone have any suggestions on types of filters or at least where I can look to find some filters?

  • #2
    Originally posted by ksm2 View Post
    Is anyone familiar with shielding gas filters? I'm trying to find in-line type filters that I can hook up once the gas has passed through the regulator. I'm finding very fine filters, like .02 or .01 micron, but I feel that is a bit excess for my requirement. In reality, I'd like to find one filter around 60-80 micron and another between 5-10 micron. Brass material is preferred. Does anyone have any suggestions on types of filters or at least where I can look to find some filters?
    I'm curious, you want to filter your shielding gas, why do you believe it needs to be filtered? Or what problems are you having that you're trying to solve?

    Which process are you working with?

    Richard
    Richard
    West coast of Florida

    Comment


    • #3
      It is a requirement of a code that I work to. It would be used on shielding/ trailing/ purging gas for TIG and FCAW processes.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ksm2 View Post
        It is a requirement of a code that I work to. It would be used on shielding/ trailing/ purging gas for TIG and FCAW processes.
        Interesting, are you welding on a refractory metal? I would be interested to know what kind of components you're working on. If they are asking for this requirement, I would have guessed that the spec would call out a specific filter and the supplier, but obviously that isn't the case here.
        Richard
        West coast of Florida

        Comment


        • #5
          Swagelok makes several filters in both brass and stainless.

          http://www.swagelok.com/search/find_...d-48b40f5dce08

          Here are 2 home made trailing shields.
          Tubing is 1/4" OD and uses 100 mesh stainless screen.
          Attached Files
          Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, large first aid kit, etc.

          Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you for the help! I was able to find a brass filter in my continued research, but I just realized I'm also in need of a fiber filter which I have yet to see any of this style filter. Any suggestions?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ksm2 View Post
              Thank you for the help! I was able to find a brass filter in my continued research, but I just realized I'm also in need of a fiber filter which I have yet to see any of this style filter. Any suggestions?
              May sound like a nutty approach... but..

              Have you considered using a clear inline fiber fuel filter like a FRAM G3HC..??

              should be well within the working pressure range for argon...

              http://www.amazon.com/Fram-Universal.../dp/B00QR7MJU4
              Attached Files
              .

              *******************************************
              The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

              “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

              Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

              My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

              TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by H80N View Post
                May sound like a nutty approach... but..

                Have you considered using a clear inline fiber fuel filter like a FRAM G3HC..??

                should be well within the working pressure range for argon...

                http://www.amazon.com/Fram-Universal.../dp/B00QR7MJU4

                That sounds like a smart idea! Good thinking on that one H8ON
                sigpic

                Dynasty 200 DX
                Millermatic 350P
                30A Spoolgun
                Lincoln Pro Mig 140
                Hypertherm Powermax 30
                14" Rage Evolution dry saw
                40 ton press brake
                Evenheat Heat treat oven

                1x42 / 4x48 belt grinder

                Comment

                Working...
                X