extension cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extension cord

ok I have had my mm210 for a week now and am going to finally wire in 220 today, I have a 40 amp breaker, 15' of 6-3 wire going to the plug in, I will be doing most of my welding with the welder directly in the wall, but from time to time i will need to move around, i want to get a 25' extension cord and was wondering what size cord i should get, I want the least amount of power loss

outkastkustoms,
    I run a 40ft. extension for my MM210 and I use 6-3 SO wire, it's got a pliable rubber coating. It is fairly flexible so you can roll it up for storage. Hope this helps.
    Mike
    MACH4

Comment

Mach ...
      Is the cord you described a HomeDepot/Lowes item or a specialty store?
      MM210 w/3035
      Next up - Sync 200

Comment

SoCalTA,
        This a type of wire that we use at my "day" job for our welding ext. cords and I went to one of the local electrical suppliers and told them how much I wanted and then all I had to do was install the proper outlets for my welder. I have NOT seen this type wire at the area Lowe's or Menards, however your area may carry it. I would look to a supply house before the aforementioned. I believe I gave $1.26 per ft. for this wire {works great}.
        Mike
        MACH4

Comment

On my mm210 I use a freebie extension cord made from a SO cord 4ga 3wire its over kill but so what. Oh yea, its only 100' long so you might not want a 150 pound cord get the 6/3 or 8/3 as long as it is not over 100' you wont get amperage drop off to worry about.

According to the wiring code book I have, 1989 model, 40 amps at 100'requires minamum of 10/3 but this is min not my suggestion. I would like 8ga 3wire but buy an Outdoor rated SO cord. this should be available at the electrical supply house. Good luck, weld well

Comment

Extension cord

outkastkustoms,

In the hardware store I work at the largest ready-made cord we sell is #10 - good for 25-30 amps max. For 25', #8's will do you good, #6's will give you plenty of margin. SO covered is the right cord to use; the ends will cost you as much or more than the wire. Whatever, be SAFE!.

Be well.

Hankj
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I have the SO 8/3 cord and it was purchased at HOME DEPOT.

Comment

Cool, how much did it set you back?

Comment

outkast,

8-3 will be fine for your 210. However, if you choose to purchase a TIG machine at a later date, you may want to get the 6-3 now and save the hassle of getting 2 cords.
                  Just a thought...

A-

Comment

Working...
                  X