Mig Welding Aluminum with Spoolmate 100 on Auto 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    AL is a learning curve with MIG- more so on the thin stock 14g & 16g.

16g is really the limit for the MM211.

Slight changes in Tip to Work distance can really make a big difference: either good or bad and with AL, bad is really bad No forgiveness like Mild steel allows.

You can't back off the heat like ya can with your Tig.
    That's a shame, I was hoping to get 1/4" or even 1/8" results with the MM211, and the Spoolgun. I had a Diversion 165, and sold it. It wasn't bad for an entry level machine. I just felt I could get more use out of the MM211. Perhaps I'll look for another TIG machine with better features.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SBray View Post
      That's a shame, I was hoping to get 1/4" or even 1/8" results with the MM211, and the Spoolgun. I had a Diversion 165, and sold it. It wasn't bad for an entry level machine. I just felt I could get more use out of the MM211. Perhaps I'll look for another TIG machine with better features.

Steve
      Sorry, I meant- 16g is the thinnest If you wanna weld thinner, use the TIG.

It will do 1/8" no problem

It should do 1/4"- I've never tried any 1/4" though.
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

That's really good to hear!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          I am that guy who reworks the spool gun barrels for the bigger thread tips used in the mig guns. Got a buddy with a lathe the how to pics are here. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48 The pics are for a 3035 spool gun as the barrel design has changed for the 100 but the info is still the same...Bob
          I just got my Spoolmate 100 inner barrel assembly back from Bob. He re-threaded it so it would accept the M-15 tips. I re-assembled the gun and set it up on my MM211. What a difference it made. I used .035 4043 wire on what appeared to be 1/8" thick aluminum. I was able to spot weld with it, and even run beads that were approximately 3" long without splattering, or burnouts to the tip.

Now all I have to do is spend more time perfecting my welding skills!

I really appreciate Bob taking the time to have this work done.

Thank you Bob!

Steve

Comment

My only 2 Aluminum projects were cast, and I was surprised at how few times I birdnested & melted tips. No pics of the first (a Polaris Ranger front diff housing), but this & the NEXT few show the 2nd:

Neither has broken again.
            Walk softly & carry a BIG SIX ! ! !
            MM211 + SM100

Comment

Working...
            X