Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig Welding Aluminum with Spoolmate 100 on Auto 140

Hello folks,

I haven't posted on this forum in quite awhile. I've now got time to resume welding, and cleaned up my work shop/garage. I have a Autoset 140, and a 211. Since the 211 is pretty versatile, I decided to setup my Spoolmate 100 on the 140. I had no idea just how demanding welding aluminum with a Spoolmate can be. I'm nearly convinced it was easier to weld aluminum on the Diversion 165 I had.

Anyway, perhaps some of you might give me some suggestions as to what I'm not doing correctly. I have the cables set for DCEP (Electrode Positive). It seems that this machine and gun is somewhat limited to 14, 16, and 18 gauges. I am using .030 4043ER wire. The results have been a lot of splattering, dripping, and black soot. I gave up using the autoset mode, and went with wire speed 100, and the thickness just above 14 gauge. I'm welding on aluminum that is between 14 and 16 gauge. Anyway, I have brushed the metal clean, and held the gun with only a small angle, and pushed the weld. The most recent attempts have not had any of the splattering, or black soot. It appears that I am making some headway. Unfortunately, the welds now look like a flat puddle?

I'm wondering if I can use the Spoolmate 100 on the 211, and perhaps increase the wire to .035 to increase the range of metal I can weld.

Thanks,
    Steve

Originally posted by SBray View Post
    Hello folks,

I'm wondering if I can use the Spoolmate 100 on the 211, and perhaps increase the wire to .035 to increase the range of metal I can weld.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Looks like the Spoolmate 100 is a direct connect to the MM211

Here is the connect chart..

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...gun-chart.html

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
      Looks like the Spoolmate 100 is a direct connect to the MM211

Here is the connect chart..

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...gun-chart.html

Thanks!

Maybe using .035 wire with the 211 will give better results.

I read somewhere that one of the members here knows how to alter the tip in some way to help with Spoolmate problems.

Steve

Comment

Thanks!

Maybe using .035 wire with the 211 will give better results.

I read somewhere that one of the members here knows how to alter the tip in some way to help with Spoolmate problems.

Steve
        I am that guy who reworks the spool gun barrels for the bigger thread tips used in the mig guns. Got a buddy with a lathe the how to pics are here. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48 The pics are for a 3035 spool gun as the barrel design has changed for the 100 but the info is still the same...Bob
        Bob Wright

Comment

Barrel Modification

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          I am that guy who reworks the spool gun barrels for the bigger thread tips used in the mig guns. Got a buddy with a lathe the how to pics are here. http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48 The pics are for a 3035 spool gun as the barrel design has changed for the 100 but the info is still the same...Bob
          Thanks Bob! I got your email this morning. I'll send the barrel. I appreciate your assistance!

Steve

Comment

I think you will have much better results with the modified barrel and powering it through the 211. Aluminum requires more power to weld due to its ability to absorb and disburse heat. I have never tried it myself, but many people on here are running 4943 for the filler with better results than 4043, might be worth a try.

You don't mention what gas you are running, is it pure argon?
            Last edited by Cgotto6; 03-08-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgotto6 View Post
              I think you will have much better results with the modified barrel and powering it through the 211. Aluminum requires more power to weld due to its ability to absorb and disburse heat. I have never tried it myself, but many people on here are running 4943 for the filler with better results than 4043, might be worth a try.

You don't mention what gas you are running, is it pure argon?
              Yes, I think, in general, the 211 will give better results with the modified barrel.

I have been using Argon gas.

Thanks,
              Steve

Comment

Wire Feed Spring Inside Head Tube Assembly

I was hoping someone could advise me how the Wire Feed Spring, of the Liner Kit (Part # 32) in the Head Tube Assembly (Part # 31) is removed. I didn't want to just pull it out without checking to see if it is attached somehow to the steel tube on the other end of the Head Tube Assembly inside the Barrel (Part # 33).

Thanks,
                Steve

Comment

AUTO SET IS FOR STEEL ONLY AND C25 GAS

…. in the manual.

Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    AUTO SET IS FOR STEEL ONLY AND C25 GAS

…. in the manual.

Ed,

I've only seen mention of the parts in the manual, not a description of exactly how the Spring Wire Liner is removed from the Head Tube Assembly. Perhaps you could be so helpful to make specific reference to the exact location, by page, describing the removal process.

I don't want to assume that the Spring Wire Liner can just be pulled out.

Thanks,
                    Steve

Comment

Ed,

Thanks,
                      Steve
                      Yup unscrew the tip and the liner just pulls out. Or leave it in and i will take it out...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Thanks Bob!

It's enroute.

Steve

Comment

Ed,

I've only seen mention of the parts in the manual, not a description of exactly how the Spring Wire Liner is removed from the Head Tube Assembly. Perhaps you could be so helpful to make specific reference to the exact location, by page, describing the removal process.

Thanks,
                          Steve
                          I was referring to the Autoset feature on the MM211: it is only for Mild steel and c25 gas.

It is not for AL welding.
                          Ed Conley
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                            I was referring to the Autoset feature on the MM211: it is only for Mild steel and c25 gas.

It is not for AL welding.
                            Thanks Ed, I'll make a note! I appreciate this info.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Ed, I'll make a note! I appreciate this info.

Steve
                              AL is a learning curve with MIG- more so on the thin stock 14g & 16g.

16g is really the limit for the MM211.

Slight changes in Tip to Work distance can really make a big difference: either good or bad and with AL, bad is really bad No forgiveness like Mild steel allows.

You can't back off the heat like ya can with your Tig.
                              Ed Conley
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Working...