Spectrum 375 X-TREME
      Portable Victor O/A
      Palmgren Bench Drill Press
      14" Evolution Dry Saw
      IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
      Speedglas 9100x
      My Brain

Comment

Thanks for posting your findings. I have numerous c-clamps with no ends. Didn't know you could get them so I will have to look into replacing them now.

This is why it's always nice for the solutions to be posted by the op as it may help someone else.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

Haven't you ever just made your own? Start with a hex nut, sized so that when you drill out the threads it's just big enough for the ball. Braze the nut to an extra -thick flatwasher. Find a smaller flatwasher with a hole that's slightly larger than the neck above the ball. Saw this washer in two. Assemble the part you made on to the ball, tighten the clamp, then braze your split washer halves in place to cage the ball. Almost takes longer to type this up than to do it. Of course, if you have a lathe you can turn out nicer ones, but the brazed ones work fine.
          Last edited by old jupiter; 03-11-2015, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
            Haven't you ever just made your own? Start with a hex nut, sized so that when you drill out the threads it's just big enough for the ball. Braze the nut to an extra -thick flatwasher. Find a smaller flatwasher with a hole that's slightly larger than the neck above the ball. Saw this washer in two. Assemble the part you made on to the ball, tighten the clamp, then braze your split washer halves in place to cage the ball. Almost takes longer to type this up than to do it. Of course, if you have a lathe you can turn out nicer ones, but the brazed ones work fine.
            I had two large C Clamps with missing swivels. I bought them like that at a swap meet. I have a 13 X 40 manual lathe and I turned out two swivels in about a half hour. I used mild steel (1018 Hot Rolled) and made them so that they just tapped on over the ball on the end of the screw portion.

I then used a ball peen hammer to swage the collar portion over the ball on each clamp so that it would stay on. This was more than ten years ago and they are still on there.

They don't really have to be hardened steel to work properly as a swivel.
            Miller Syncrowave 200
            Milermatic 252
            Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Working...
            X