Tig welding w/Bobcat 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig welding w/Bobcat 250

So it's my understanding that if you set the Weld Process Selector switch to -Tig. And the Coarse Range Switch to(say)40-100 amps(3/32). Then the Fine Control switch(whatever is best)say 6. With the Pos. lead going to your Tig/gas. And the Neg. to your material, then you should be able to Tig small-med. metals, such as tabs to a motorcycle frame? Or is this not correct? Thanks for any and all help.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
    The Older I Get, The Better I Was.
    CPW Retired

Originally posted by harleyjo View Post
    So it's my understanding that if you set the Weld Process Selector switch to -Tig. And the Coarse Range Switch to(say)40-100 amps(3/32). Then the Fine Control switch(whatever is best)say 6. With the Pos. lead going to your Tig/gas. And the Neg. to your material, then you should be able to Tig small-med. metals, such as tabs to a motorcycle frame? Or is this not correct? Thanks for any and all help.
    You have your polarity flipped...

you want your TIG Torch Negative and the work/ground lead Positive...

TIG for steel is DCEN...

and amperage set to about one amp per thousandth thickness to start out and adjust from there...

probably want to set your Argon flow to somewhere between 15 to 18 CFH (cubic feet per hour)
    Last edited by H80N; 03-02-2015, 04:08 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

10-4, That's what thought. But directions in manual not so clear on settings. I do remember that on my 64' pipeliner i had to switch them over. Man that thing would weld, and easy to work-on. Thanks again for the help and quick reply. Now for those who don't understand, has this to look at. JIM
      [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
      CPW Retired

Comment

Backwards or reversed or the other way with the leads.

Griff

Comment

Got it, txs Griff
          [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
          CPW Retired

Comment

biggest issue with the bobcat is the lack of a foot pedal to control amps and no contact closure. So the arc is always live...on thin materials this becomes an issue as your either to hot or to cold. Also do u plan on arc starting...scratch starting? Did not believe the bobcat had any sort of lift arc?
            Lincoln ranger 305g x2
            Ln25
            Miller spectrum 625
            Miller 30a spoolgun
            Wc115a
            Lincoln 210mp
            F550 imt service truck

Comment

scratch starting, was also wondering about how thin i can go(heat wise on settings). Maybe exhaust pipe for m/c's ? I've always got my mig(Lincoln 140+ w/spool gun) and .024 wire. As soon as weather clears will try various thicknesses With Tig, and going to try stainless, Mig works great for aluminum, but will be doing alot of stainless(flatstock tabs, stainless to carbon filler wire(what do i need? Txs for all the help so far. Jim
              [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]
              CPW Retired

Comment

I have the same mig box you have and it does super with .23 stainlees wire you might wanna just forget the tig and use the mig for the stainless. I have the spoolgun setup on mine too it does nice work on 1/8th aluminum and I also have used it in the past to weld a/c coils that have leaks .my buddy couldn't believe how I was welding them coils with a spoolgun .

Comment

Working...
                X