Need help with my dialarc 250 hf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with my dialarc 250 hf

Long story short I picked up just the welder about 8 years ago and have only stick welded with it a couple times over those years. Now i have finally found everything thing to run tig on it, picked up a foot pedal on ebay and found a used air cooled tig torch local. Have everything hooked up now and have no problem doing aluminum, put the hf to continuous and go. The problem is when I go to do stainless or mild steel i put the switch to hf start and the only way to get an arc is by scratch. Am i missing something? I've been using the syncrowave 250 at work for the last 9 years and all you have to do is step on the pedal for the arc on what ever your welding. Shouldn't my dialarc be the same or is there a problem with it. Judging by the serial number it's an 84. I've tried looking over the net but haven't been able to find anyone else with this problem. Any insight would be greatly appreciated Thanks Kevin

I'm not the only one who's mentioned it. My Dialarc HF often needed to be touched to the work before stepping on the pedal. It's a long shot, but it solved my problems.
    Dynasty 280DX
    Bobcat 250
    MM252
    Spool gun
    Twentieth Century 295
    Twentieth Century 295 AC
    Marquette spot welder
    Smith torches

Comment

Thanks Willie I did try that but didn't work.

Comment

Start with unplugging and leaving it an hour or more. Dig out, or download your appropriate manual. Use a dry toothbrush and air hose to clean giving special attention to the point holders. Remove the points (under the front bottom panel). Clean them. If they are rough or dirty on the arc faces I'd use 1000 grit dry water stone. Gap them as specified. If I recall .008-.014". It is possible that your HF which is very high voltage, and very high frequency might be taking a shortcut instead of flowing all the way to the tungsten on its journey to the ground lead. Look for opportunities where it could jump. Experts disagree about cooler fluid if a water cooled torch. I think you said air cooled torch, Liquid needs Welder anti freeze. If none of that works, You need Cruiser, or 7A749.
        Dynasty 280DX
        Bobcat 250
        MM252
        Spool gun
        Twentieth Century 295
        Twentieth Century 295 AC
        Marquette spot welder
        Smith torches

Comment

CR1 is has likely failed.

Comment

Ok thanks guys i was hoping it was something easy that I may have overlooked since i basically built my whole welding table around this tank lol. One more thing that i noticed not right with this machine is that the gas comes on once the machine is turned on and stays on until machine is turned off. I do have a gas shut off valve on the tig torch so didn't think it was a big deal.Do you think that if the cr1 is bad that it would have anything to do with the gas operation?

Comment

Another thing I forgot to mention is that after I tig (been mostly doing aluminum lately) welder seems to beep from time to time even after the machine has been turned off. Any idea why this happens?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

None of these has a beeping function, and not helping without a serial number anyways.

Comment

Oh sorry bud i thought all was needed was the year of if otherwise I would have posted the number in my first post. Serial number is JE742058 i didn't think this unit would have a beeping function either but after i weld using hf there's something in my garage that beeps just figured it was the welder but could be the stereo or garage door opener I guess?But at this point I'm more concerned about getting the hf start and gas to work properly

Comment

Relay CR1 is problably jammed. We know Relay CR3 and CR2 are working, so that leaves TD1 time delay relay. This unit has likely failed or has been jumpered out.

Comment

Thanks cruzer that's a big help do you have any part numbers or know where I can source these parts my lws is looking into it but hasn't heard back

Comment

The Time delay, you will have trouble tracking down, CR1 is just a standard everyday relay. I'm big on the trouble shooting, not so much on the trying to find parts. Maybe www.vintageparts.com and plug in the part # from the owners manual.

Comment

Fair enough cruser thanks very much for your help it's a great starting point, hopefully I can start to tear into it over the weekend!

Comment

It is most likely the CR-1 relay. You could put a meter on the CR-1 coil leads and look for 12-15 volts DC when you have open circuit voltage. If the voltage is there and CR-1 isn't pulling in then the relay has failed and tf the voltage is not there then you would need to track down why.

If it is pulling in and the HF is not working it could be the points on the relay are just shot. The relay has 2 sets of points so in this case you could swap the leads over to the other set of points and see if it works. The CR-1 relay part number is 059267 and we do stock it here in Appleton.
                              Kevin Schuh
                              Service Technician
                              Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Working...
                              X