Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sjohn
    • Feb 2015

Thanks cruiser for that info!!! very helpfully!!! ( also thanks to all who had some input)
    From what it sounds like both unit have the same welding power.

Cruiser - what model (tb 325 or 305) is cheaper to fix? meaning circuit board costs? and what boards go out more on the tb325 and 305? and why?

Also would it help on the TB 325 to run a fan so it blows air cross the fins? as the saying goes a cooler engine is a happier engine maybe mount a fan behind the tb325 with some type of homemade shroud to help tunnel the air flow?

Thanks
    Last edited by sjohn; 03-01-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• cruizer
      • Oct 2004

Engine fits pretty tight in the 325, and the flywheel pulls air in from the front, therefore has to cool the rectifier, and other componenets before it enters the engine. So on hot days, that air for the intake is already super heated.

So the idea of having cool dense are is already out the window. Blocking the intake air ports alows more of this air to hit the engine fins. opening the top air cleaner cover seems to work quite well. Still the unit is a reasonalble design. I don't have to weld with them, however once the patent on the Lincoln Chopper technology expired, Miller jumped on the band wagon, so virtually same technology, so same weld output.

There is absolutely zero reason for a board to pop once the engines are set for the correct RPM. Its the low frequency that kills them

Comment

• Tryagn5
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by sjohn View Post
        Thanks cruiser for that info!!! very helpfully!!! ( also thanks to all who had some input)
        From what it sounds like both unit have the same welding power.

Cruiser - what model (tb 325 or 305) is cheaper to fix? meaning circuit board costs? and what boards go out more on the tb325 and 305? and why?

Also would it help on the TB 325 to run a fan so it blows air cross the fins? as the saying goes a cooler engine is a happier engine maybe mount a fan behind the tb325 with some type of homemade shroud to help tunnel the air flow?

Thanks
        I think any heating issues would be in a hot enviroment, ie texas heat...there are plenty of people in illinois running 325's with no overheating. Honestly we have had zero probelms with the 305s, there has bee issues with the 325's but that was last year and prior. I would be buying the welder based off price and service.
        Kevin
        Lincoln ranger 305g x2
        Ln25
        Miller spectrum 625
        Miller 30a spoolgun
        Wc115a
        Lincoln 210mp
        F550 imt service truck

Comment

• sjohn
          • Feb 2015

"There is absolutely zero reason for a board to pop once the engines are set for the correct RPM. Its the low frequency that kills them"

ahh ok that makes sense! if a board does pop what is the cost of a board?

also for the heat issue..hummm it can get hot where I live..so having a fan on the unit would work only if the fan is blowing on the engine and not the other parts that get hot.

Tryagn5 - yes that's what iam going to do to price,service,etc did you have a 325? if so what problems did you have?

Comment

• nfinch86
            • Jul 2008

62.5 hz. ?

Cruizer,
            How to you check for 62.5 HZ. ?

Norm
            www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

• Tryagn5
              • Apr 2009

"There is absolutely zero reason for a board to pop once the engines are set for the correct RPM. Its the low frequency that kills them"

ahh ok that makes sense! if a board does pop what is the cost of a board?

also for the heat issue..hummm it can get hot where I live..so having a fan on the unit would work only if the fan is blowing on the engine and not the other parts that get hot.

Tryagn5 - yes that's what iam going to do to price,service,etc did you have a 325? if so what problems did you have?
              Saw 2 with board issues, one would shut down then run fine, one ran hot, then some complained of erractic arcs, of course these are all pipeline guys do 8-12 inch pipe in gas distrubtion. However for every 325 i see there is 10 305gs. Most guys here run either 305g,s, sae 200-300's, or pipepro 304 or 350's. Only a couple of trailblazers. All is downhill stick. Now im the mechanic so i do all uphill 7018, air arc a lot, and run dual shield wire, been very happy with the 305g. Now once the 325 has all its bugs fixed(which it might) i do like the excel power, i would be tempted to get one. However either way i would have efi, fuel savings, cleaner running, ease of starting at 10 below.
              Kevin
              Lincoln ranger 305g x2
              Ln25
              Miller spectrum 625
              Miller 30a spoolgun
              Wc115a
              Lincoln 210mp
              F550 imt service truck

Comment

• sjohn
                • Feb 2015

with a frequency meter like this one:

one of buttons is hz..so just plug into outlet and press the hz button I run one on my generators now to make sure its right
                Last edited by sjohn; 03-01-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• sjohn
                  • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                  Saw 2 with board issues, one would shut down then run fine, one ran hot, then some complained of erractic arcs, of course these are all pipeline guys do 8-12 inch pipe in gas distrubtion. However for every 325 i see there is 10 305gs. Most guys here run either 305g,s, sae 200-300's, or pipepro 304 or 350's. Only a couple of trailblazers. All is downhill stick. Now im the mechanic so i do all uphill 7018, air arc a lot, and run dual shield wire, been very happy with the 305g. Now once the 325 has all its bugs fixed(which it might) i do like the excel power, i would be tempted to get one. However either way i would have efi, fuel savings, cleaner running, ease of starting at 10 below.
                  Kevin

good to know! hum I wonder if miller got the bugs fixed in the new models?

Comment

• sjohn
                    • Feb 2015

also Cruizer you said :

"won't happen till the engine has a few hours on it and that is that the low idle moves to high. It must be set to approx 38 hz"

iam not sure I follow what you mean there? how can it be 38hz?? when it should be at at 62.5 hz warm?

Comment

• cruizer
                      • Oct 2004

Low idle must be set to 38hz at the low idle solinoid

High idle must be set at 62.5hz, at the engine governor arm lock nuts

Comment

• sjohn
                        • Feb 2015

ahhhh ok

what if a board does pop what is the cost of a board?

Comment

• cruizer
                          • Oct 2004

As I said, there is no room on a 325 for a fan of any kind. As for boards, it happens but not common on a tuned Linc. Besides you can get an extended warranty for it.

The Miller has fixed a couple final weld board related glitches, however, if you happen to boost and surge a dead battery, it's going to get expensive
                          Last edited by cruizer; 03-02-2015, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• sjohn
                            • Feb 2015

ok on the fan

what is average cost for a board for a 325 and a 305

Comment

• Tryagn5
                              • Apr 2009

warranty....

ok on the fan

what is average cost for a board for a 325 and a 305
                              You are completly over thinking this. The welder will have a 3 year warranty. All equipment will break, thats why there is repair people. Either welder will do what you ask of it, one might be slightly bettar then the other depending on the job/condtions.
                              Now the 305g has been out for a long time has a proven design, and most people like them. The 325 miller has nice features such as excel, a nice arc, and is backed by a great company. It came out with some growing pains, but miller has fixed them. Will it have some more? Maybe, but you will have 3 years of warranty to sort them out.
                              Kevin
                              Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                              Ln25
                              Miller spectrum 625
                              Miller 30a spoolgun
                              Wc115a
                              Lincoln 210mp
                              F550 imt service truck

Comment

• sjohn
                                • Feb 2015

no I don't think iam over thinking this. I know I will have a warranty. I just like to know what it will cost (about) when the warranty is up. This way I know what iam getting into. best to know then not know at all

I guess I don't like not knowing, maybe its just me I am the type of person if I don't know..i will find an answer. being that way can be good and bad...lol
                                Last edited by sjohn; 03-01-2015, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X